This content is meant for readers aged 21+. This Firstleaf review is not sponsored but may contain affiliate links. All opinions are 100% my own based on my personal experience with the wine club. I hope this review helps you decide whether or not a Firstleaf subscription is right for you.
I remember the first time I heard of Firstleaf’s online wine club. A few of my best friends were talking about their Firstleaf boxes, and I couldn’t help but be curious!
So I went home and signed myself up for a Firstleaf trial, where you get the first shipment of 6 full-sized bottles of personalized wine for just $39.95 + free shipping.
Of course, I took notes and pictures of everything I experienced for this Firstleaf wine club review so you can know exactly what to expect from the service.
In this review, I’m going to do my best to break down what you need to know about the wine club, what I thought about the wine selection, and whether Firstleaf may be right for you!
Quick Summary of This Firstleaf Review
Don’t have time to read the full, comprehensive Firstleaf review? Here’s a 3 -minute summary of what you need to know:
- Firstleaf specializes in providing a tailored, award-winning wine subscription service.
- I love that Firstleaf partners directly with winemakers to make quality wines more accessible and affordable to every Firstleaf member. Without the need for middlemen, the costs go down and we get to try great wines for a lower price.
- The personalization feature is definitely one of the better ones among the different wine subscription services I’ve tried. Of the 6 bottles I got (none of which I had tried before), 5 of them have now become some of my all-time favorite wines!
- My favorite is the St. Audette Lumiere 2019 French Chardonnay!
- Currently, Firstleaf offers a great deal on your first order: you can get your first box of 6 bottles of wine for just $39.95 + free shipping.
- After the trial, it is $90 per month ($15 per bottle) + free shipping. Cancel anytime.
- You can purchase individual wine bottles, but there’s no discounts on that.
- Customizable delivery frequencies: you don’t have to get a box monthly if you don’t want to! You can easily set deliveries at your preferred schedule.
- Their 100% satisfaction guarantee is seriously the best in the wine club industry. If you find a bottle in your box you didn’t like, they will send you a free replacement of another bottle you’ll love.
- Either you love your wine club experience or you get your money back!
About Firstleaf Wine Club
Firstleaf is an online wine club that specializes in providing a tailored, award-winning wine subscription service.
Firstleaf’s founder, Philip James, created the company with the goal of “creating the most customer-centric wine club” in the wine industry, providing great wine for a surprisingly affordable price.
And it’s working – Firstleaf has over 100,000 happy members!
What sets Firstleaf apart from other wine clubs is the way they partner directly with various wineries and winemakers. This gets rid of the need for middlemen (such as importers, distributors, and retailers) that often results in marked-up retail prices. With Firstleaf’s direct-to consumer model, however, members can get quality wines at a very fair price.
How Does Firstleaf Wine Subscriptions Work?
- Visit Firstleaf’s official website and sign up for your free account.
- Take the personalized wine quiz to create your wine profile (it’ll take about 5 minutes)
- Order your trial box of the 6 recommended wines based on your quiz results
- If you prefer, you can switch out recommended wines you don’t want with other options in their inventory.
- Your Firstleaf box gets delivered, and you can start enjoying the different wines.
- Rate your wines online with either a thumb up or thumb down to help the experts get the most refined picture of your wine preferences.
- Receive your curated wine club orders at the schedule you set. Modify, reschedule, or cancel anytime!
FUN FACT: If you ever get a bottle of wine that you didn’t like, you can reach out to Firstleaf’s Wine Concierge team and they will credit you a complimentary replacement for another bottle you’ll love.
Wines I Received in My Firstleaf Introductory Box
- Features: light-bodied, tasting notes of watermelon, strawberry, and earth
- Pairs well with: Grilled Salmon, Garlic and Herb Pork Tenderloin, Mushroom Risotto
- Awards: Gold Medal for 2021 Sommelier Challenge, 91 Points for 2021 Sommelier Challenge
- Selling Price: $22.00
- Features: light-bodied, tasting notes of pear, white flowers, and vanilla
- Pairs well with: Grilled Shrimp, Oysters Rockefeller, Lobster
- Awards: Gold Medal for 2020 Sommelier Challenge, 90 Points for 2020 Sommelier Challenge,
- Silver Medal for 2020 USA Wine Ratings, Silver Medal for 2021 Sunset International Wine Competition
- Selling Price: $19.00
- Features: light-bodied, tasting notes of lemon, brioche, and almond
- Pairs well with: Lobster Mac and Cheese, Roasted Chicken, Grilled Halibut
- Awards: Bronze Medal for 2020 Sommelier Choice Awards
- Selling Price: $22.00
- Features: light-bodied, tasting notes of blackberry, plum, and cherry
- Pairs well with: Cheeseboards, Beef Bourguignon, Hearty Soups
- Awards: 91 Points for 2021 Sommelier Challenge, Gold Medal for 2021 Sommelier Challenge
- Selling Price: $23.00
- Features: light-bodied, tasting notes of apricot, lemon, and pear
- Pairs well with: Grilled Chicken, Seared Scallops, Pumpkin Ravioli
- Awards: 92 Points for 2021 Sommelier Challenge, Gold Medal for 2021 Sommelier Challenge, Silver Medal for 2021 USA Wine Ratings, Silver Medal for 2021 Critics Challenge International Wine & Spirits Competition
- Selling Price: $19.00
- Features: medium-bodied, tasting notes of blackcurrant, tobacco, and plum
- Pairs well with: Filet, Comte cheese, Roasted Chicken
- Awards: Silver Medal for 2020 Harvest Challenge, Silver Medal for 2020 Sommelier Challenge, Silver Medal for 2021 International Eastern Wine Competition
- Selling Price: $25.00
My Personal Firstleaf Review
What I Liked About Firstleaf:
- Impressive wine selections of the best wines that have actually won awards
- Side note: most wine clubs don’t bother entering wine competitions, so the fact that Firstleaf has won over 2000+ awards speak highly of its wine quality.
- I enjoyed reading the pamphlets that came in my First Leaf box, explaining every bottle in detail: from tasting notes, pairing suggestions, and origin of the wine.
- Constantly changing wine selection helps me discover new wines.
- Great value for quality wines. The wines I’ve received from Firstleaf have been some of the best I’ve ever received through a wine club and wine subscription services.
- It’s convenient! Instead of spending 45 minutes in a liquor store trying to figure out which wine to try, I get 6 hand-selected bottles sent to my house.
- Personalization has been mostly accurate for my flavor profiles.
- Website was easy to navigate. I could sort through the large variety of wines by:
- Wine Regions: United States, Italy, France, and more
- Types of Wine: red wine, white wine, rosé, sparkling
- Grape Varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and more.
- Easy to change my delivery schedule, wine order, and even cancel.
- Amazing customer service! Love their 100% satisfaction guarantee as it ensures pretty much a risk-free wine buying experience.
What I Didn’t Like About Firstleaf:
- Constantly changing wine selection means that I may not have access to a specific bottle whenever I want
- For example, I received the La Belle France 2019 Bordeaux Rouge in my box and loved it, but now Firstleaf doesn’t sell that specific wine. That said, Firstleaf is very good at offering similar wines to those you love.
- Spoiler alert: I have loved their other wine suggestions based on the 2019 Bordeaux Rouge, but I thought this is worth noting in case there are wine enthusiasts reading this who may want the exact brand/bottle in their next box.
- Firstleaf automatically sets you up on a monthly shipment after your introductory shipment.
- Someone over 21 has to be present to receive the delivery (this is common with any wine subscription box delivery in general).
Public Firstleaf Reviews from Customers
Currently, there are over 298 public Firstleaf reviews on Trustpilot. According to customer reviews, Firstleaf has an average rating of 4.7/5 stars.
Only 4% of all the Firstleaf reviews rated Firstleaf as ‘poor,’ while 93% rated the wine club as either ‘great’ or ‘excellent’.
How Much Does Firstleaf Cost?
Firstleaf offers a few different services: 1) its popular wine club, and 2) an online store selling individual wines for purchase.
Depending on the service you choose, here’s how much you can expect your Firstleaf shipment to cost:
- Wine Club Trial Box: $39.95 + free shipping for 6 customized bottles of wine (less than $7 per bottle)
- Wine Club Regular Box: $90 per box + free shipping for 6 customized bottles of wine ($15 per bottle)
- A La Carte Wines: large wine choices ranging from $14 to $43
Keep in mind that all Firstleaf wine club boxes (including the trial) are guaranteed to be valued over the wine club box price. My Firstleaf box was valued at $130!
Bottom line: for those of you who are wine lovers, it pays to get the wine club box (vs buying individual wines)
Firstleaf Review Verdict
After trying a lot of different wine clubs and subscription boxes, I have to admit that my Firstleaf experience has been the best of them all!
There are so many things to love about Firstleaf wine club, and the fact that a trial box of 6 bottles only costs you $39.95? It’s a no-brainer for me!
The wines they offer are really good, and the phenomenal customer service and 100% satisfaction guarantee are more than enough to make me a return customer.
Firstleaf Wine Club Alternatives
Looking for other wine clubs and subscription services? Here are some alternatives to Firstleaf Wine Club that I recommend.
- Palate Club
- 90+ Cellars Wine Shop
- California Wine Club
- Cellars Wine Club
- In Good Taste Wines
- Revel Wine Club
- Wired for Wine
- Just Enough Wines
- Thrive Market Wines
- Wine Awesomeness
- Artisan Craft Cocktails
- …and more!
Did we miss anything in this Firstleaf review? Please leave a comment below – I’d love to hear!!
Looking for More Product Reviews?
- 13+ Must-Try Wine Subscription Boxes And Best Wine Clubs In 2021
- The Ultimate Guide to Wine & Olive Oil Pairing
- The Best Italian Red Wines for Your Next Date Night
- Lumineux Teeth Whitening Kit Review
- My Snow Teeth Whitening Review (2021) + FREE Whitening Wand
- CAUSEBOX Winter 2021 Review + $10 Coupon!
- 7+ Must-Have Travel Wallets, According To Reviews
- (2021) 10 Best Gift Sets for Women on Amazon
- (2021) 11+ Best Travel Toothbrush for Sparkling Clean Teeth
- 13+ Best Travel Backpacks for Women
- Cratejoy Review (2021): 7 Best Cratejoy Subscription Boxes To Try This Month