Summer is here, and nothing screams outdoor fun like a good old-fashioned grill. But why settle for just a grill when you can have the best grill smokers combo? This 2-in-1 appliance is such a versatile way to cook so many delicious foods, like smoked chicken to grilled sausages without having to buy separate appliances, which means more space for you!
Here are the 15 best grill smoker combos of the year. Let’s dive in!
RELATED: Get a FREE trial of Amazon Prime to get access to free express deliveries on all the best grill smokers combo, groceries, and more!
Who Makes The Best Grill Smoker?
Whether you call it a grill smoker or a combination smoker grill, when it comes to outdoor grills, a few brands stand out from the crowd.
The big names in grilling, including Weber, Kamado, Masterbuilt, and Traeger, are usually featured in most lineups of the overall best grill smokers.
While it is always reassuring to buy from a tried and tested brand, don’t be put off checking out the features of less well-known competitors too. Depending on your preferences, you may find a sweet deal from an unlikely brand.
Designs also differ significantly, so while the Kamado Joe Classic II is arguably the crème de la crème of grill smoker combos for 2023, it isn’t something you can take to a family picnic, or you may prefer a vertical smoker like Weber’s Smokey Mountain.
Criteria For The Best Grill Smokers Combo
Choosing the best grill smoker combo isn’t only about enjoying perfectly cooked racks of ribs and delicious smokey-flavored food. The outdoor cooking appliance not only needs to fit into the available space and meet your individual requirements – it should also have a few bonus features that will make cooking fun for you!
Features to consider when shopping for your next grill smoker combo:
- Size – Grill smoker combinations come in different sizes. If you are single, you probably need a different-sized grill than if you need to cook for a large family.
- Fuel type – Charcoal, or a combination of charcoal and wood chips, is most often used to deliver good quality results reliably. However, not everyone has the time or energy for a charcoal grill; if you are one of them, gas or electric models are a better option.
- Portability – Grill smoker combos come in all shapes and sizes…and weights. Everyone agrees that while a Big Green Egg is a top-of-the-range piece of equipment, it would need a team effort to move it around. When choosing your appliance, consider whether it will be kept in one area or if you’d prefer a lightweight machine you can take along on camping trips.
- Functionality – All the best smoker grill combos are designed for grilling and smoking food to perfection, but depending on what food you most often cook, you may need to look out for special functions. For example, if you also need to make pizza on your appliance, it will need to reach higher temperatures than if you will only use it for slow cooking.
- Durability – We have all seen sad-looking, discarded grilling machines standing in the corner of backyards. No grill can last forever, but being aware of the build quality and choosing quality materials means it can last much longer.
- Ease of cleaning – Cleaning your smoker grill combo is probably the last thing on your mind as you are excitedly shopping for this summer’s gathering point. It is only when you need to scrub sticky, burnt grill grates that you will appreciate how important it is to choose a model that is designed with easy cleanup in mind.
- Price range – For most of us, price is a top consideration. Choosing the best grill smoker combo is about carefully weighing up features with value for money.
Now that you have all these important things in mind, let’s start shopping!
Overall Best Grill Smokers Combo: Kamado Joe Classic II
Kamado grills have an outstanding reputation for versatility and durability – and this model is our top pick for the overall best grill smokers combo. In addition to the classic, neat, compact design, we all must admit that these mean machines are an impressive addition to any outdoor cooking area.
Like all our grill smoker combos, your best choice is the one best suited for your life. Some features that I love about this charcoal smoker and grill are:
- It oozes quality. From its classic good looks to its ability to create consistently good results
- Ease of use. Not all of us are barbeque pitmasters; we just need a compact, easy-to-use grill smoker to get the job done.
- The airlift hinge. Kamado-style machines are notoriously heavy. Kamado Joe II has added an airlift hinge to its lid, which is a handy feature. It is no longer necessary to drop everything to open and close the top during the cooking process.
- It includes side shelves and a cart featuring locking casters and wheels.
- Multifunctional – you can grill, barbeque, or smoke food on this machine. It is an excellent option for small spaces.
The flip side is that this model may not be big enough for everyone. Although the cooking area can be divided into tiers, there may not be enough space on the grid to quickly churn out lots of grilled food.
Coming in as one of our most expensive grill smoker combos, the appliance exudes excellent quality. The Kamado Joe Classic II boasts a lifetime warranty and an outstanding customer service record.
14 Other Top Grill Smokers Combo
With all the competition out there, it wasn’t easy to decide on our top picks for the best grill smoker combo this year. Take note of the differences in design and temperature control method on each model, as grill smoker combos vary greatly.
All the best grill smoker combos we’ve listed here have received excellent customer reviews, so you can buy confidently, knowing they have all received the thumbs up of approval from happy owners.
The days of opening and closing your grill to check what’s happening under the lid are over. Enter the digital age! Keep track of your meal using Bluetooth connectivity or WiFi from inside your air-conditioned house.
Things I love about the Masterbuilt grill and smoker combo:
- The nifty gravity-fed charcoal hopper. Fill it with briquette or lump charcoal and forget it until it gets empty. There is no need to remove leftovers – just switch off the machine, and whatever is left over will be used next time.
- It’s really easy to clean. The vertical feeding design means that spent charcoal moves down. Simply open a door and take out the ash bucket when you are done.
- The digital control panel lets you set the required temperature, and the machine will do the rest.
The Masterbuilt Grill and Smoker has received consistently excellent reviews in all areas, except the ease of assembly category. Many reviewers agree that once you have all the nuts and bolts in place, the machine delivers outstanding delicious smokey, tasting results, but it can be challenging to set up.
Traeger is a trusted brand in outdoor grilling. They have been producing quality products since 1985, so they are no flash-in-the-pan in terms of reliably making excellent outdoor cooking appliances.
The Pro Series 780 Wood Pellet grill takes their line to a new level. This new take on their successful wood pellet grill offers a new range of connectivity. WiFIRE technology connects your grill to your home WiFi, and you can use the Traeger app to control your grill from anywhere.
Traditional grilling and smoking may never be the same again. Getting the right balance of smoke flavors and delicious tender meat used to take hours of waiting around and hoping for the best.
Now you can get your meal started and monitor it from anywhere. This is especially useful when you are smoking large cuts of meat.
Things I love:
- Porcelain grates
- Large cooking chamber, so it is perfect for large families
- Precise temperature control
The only downside of this wood pellet grill is that it doesn’t come with a weather-resistant cover like some other Traegers.
Don’t let the compact design of this grill smoker combo fool you. Weber is a trusted brand that offers customers plenty of bang for their buck, and the Smokey Joe Mountain cooker is one of the best grill smokers combo out there.
Features of this nifty appliance include:
- It is compact and portable
- It is a very reasonable price compared to many other grill smoker combos
- You can use it to grill, but perfect for slow cooking and smoking
- It comes with a cover
- Cool touch handles
- It’s a charcoal cooker, but extra flavor can be infused by adding wood chunks.
- Easy-to-reach water pan that adds smokiness while cooking
- Connect via Bluetooth to Weber Connect Smart Grilling Hub to check the internal temperature
If this model is too small for your requirements, it is also available in bigger sizes.
If messy charcoal or wood pellets are not for you, this gas grill and smoker from Char-Broil may be just what you need. And don’t let the compact size fool you; the cook chamber on this grill smoker combo is big enough to handle your Thanksgiving turkey with ease.
Features that make the Big Easy a winner:
- Stainless steel interior for durability
- Portable and easy to use
- It has a side-mounted smoker box, so you can add wood chips for a more authentic smokey taste.
- Connects to a standard propane tank
- It is a good option for anyone who likes to get away. The Big Easy is perfect for everything from camping to tailgating.
The only downside I could see is that it doesn’t have the same type of big-grill look and feel you may want. Of course, it is ideal if you are more focused on the end results, but it may be too compact for large gatherings.
Pitt Boss offers you the best of both worlds and another one of our picks for the best grill smokers combo of the year. The unit is powered by natural gas and charcoal, and instead of a completely offset smoker like in many other models, it allows side-by-side convenience.
This combination offers the convenience of gas plus the taste of smokey charcoal cooking. The Pit Boss is also versatile enough to roast, braise, char-grill, and even bake once you have mastered the subtle nuances of the temperature gauge that has an LED reading.
The Pitt Boss will make you look and feel like a professional meat master right in your own backyard. In addition to grilling and smoking, the impressive-looking heavy-duty design offers enough space to cook up feasts no matter how many guests you have.
At first glance, Camp Chef’s SmokePro grill and smoker combo may not look like anything out of the ordinary. But reading through the customer reviews may convince you that you’ve struck gold with this cooking accessory.
Things that stand out:
- It offers a lot of features at a reasonable price point
- It is an electric grill with a smoker
- It comes with a convenient folding front shelf
- Easy-to-clean ash feature
- Big 22-pound hopper – easy to change pellet flavors. Some pellet grills can be tricky to change pellets after they are loaded, and you may need to get through the whole batch before adding more. The SmokePro lets you open a bottom chute to drain unused pellets and switch up the smokey pellet taste.
- Additional gadgets like a gas-powered sear box can be fitted to the unit later.
This vertical barrel grill and smoker combo from Pit Barrel Cooker Co. has an edgy, unique appearance. It may be surprising that something so simple can deliver results comparable to traditional grills.
I love the shabby-chic appearance of this grill smoker. Besides being capable of delivering top-notch cooked meals, it is sure to be a conversation starter.
The drumlike upright design saves a lot of space, and the innovative hanging style interior gives you plenty of cooking space. The round shape also ensures that the cooking temperature remains consistent everywhere inside the barrel.
This light and compact portable grill and smoker combo from PKGO is the ultimate cook-anywhere appliance. Small enough to take along anywhere but still big enough to smoke a turkey or grill for the family.
The PK Go has some nifty functions that make it invaluable for anyone with an outdoor lifestyle. It features a lockable lid that keeps everything in place when you move it, and you can take the top off and use it as an extra grilling space if required.
The only downside to this unit is that you must choose whether you will be smoking or grilling. These functions cannot be performed simultaneously. So, it either serves as a dedicated smoker or a charcoal grill each time you use it.
The Char-broil deluxe electric smoker is not a grill smoker combo. However, it has so many great features and is so reasonably priced that you may be able to afford it, plus an inexpensive dedicated grilling machine.
One of the first features you will immediately notice about the Char-broil is that it is conveniently electric – so just add some wood chips for smokey flavor, plugin, and you’re good to go.
Things I love about this type of smoker:
- It features a glass door. It is also easy to keep track of your food’s progress without needing to open and close the machine
- The main chamber has four adjustable racks
- Cooking can be controlled and monitored via remote control
The inexpensively priced Royal Gourmet charcoal grill with a side smoker is a great option for anyone finding their way in the world of outdoor cooking. This versatile appliance allows you to create smoked and grilled food simultaneously, even if you are a novice.
Smoking meat to perfection takes a long time. Having the smoker set apart from the grill means you can grill for lunch, and your smoked meal will be ready, falling off the bones when dinnertime comes around.
The cooking grates are easy to remove for cleaning. I love that they are height adjustable on the grill, so when it is ready, food can be moved away from the high temperatures but stay warm.
If price is no object and you are serious about investing in an outdoor cooking appliance that can do everything, even in cold weather, look no further than this kamado-style ceramic cooker from AMS.
In addition to offering all the great features of some other well-known kamado cookers, AMS is proudly made in the USA. Learning to use this multifunctional cooker may be a bit of a learning curve, but you will be the envy of your neighbors.
The only downside is that the AMS Fireplace weighs around 250 pounds, so your friends will have to come to your place to enjoy the experience.
CUE WAY K-1 is one of the most practical, get-the-job-done grill and smoker combos that comes at a very reasonable price.
Besides the great price, here’s what I love about this model:
- Temperature control of the barrel-style setup is easy, so even if you need to cook at low temperatures, the built-in thermometer on the lid will keep you in touch with what is happening inside.
- Its vertical design makes it a great option for smoking fish. Since it is also lightweight, it is one of the best options for fishing trips.
If you need a new smoker without the hassle of a huge setup, the ASMOKE portable is one of the best pellet grills and smokers in a compact size. With 256 square inches of grid space, this mini smoker grill is ideal for on-the-go lifestyles where you need a lot from a small cooker.
Manufacturers boast that the product has eight functions and can do everything from sear to bake. Customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
An added bonus of this product is that it can also be plugged in and run off electricity. The choice of bright colors is another good reason this portable cooker made our list of top picks.
For a larger pellet grill and smoker cooking experience, we love the Z GRILLS Pellet grill smoker. This mean machine features 700 square inches of cooking space and a temperature range of between 180F to 450F.
Using wood pellets as a heat source is one of the most precise ways to control smoke levels and also makes it easier to cook for extended periods at lower temperatures. This makes the Z GRILLS perfect, even if you want to try baking on your outdoor appliance.
What Smokers Do BBQ Pitmasters Use?
There is a lot of competition among BBQ pitmasters at competitions to produce the best results. While they may have their eyes firmly on keeping their machines at a steady temperature, you can be sure that they also spend plenty of time checking out their competitor’s latest equipment.
Most professional pitmasters use specialist equipment from brands like Stump, Jambo, or Yoder. These are not your basic, easy-to-use backyard smokers.
Many of the top smokers are known as stick burners. This is a simple term for a very complex type of reverse smoker. Pellet smokers are the next best thing for anyone considering participating in a backyard BBQing competition.
RELATED: 50 BEST Masterbuilt Smoker Recipes
Verdict: What’s The Best Grill Smokers Combo?
- Overall Best Grill Smoker Combo: Kamado Joe Classic II
- Best Portable Grill Smoker Combo: PKGO Portable Grill And Smoker
- Best Affordable Grill Smoker Combo: Weber Smokey Joe Mountain Cooker
- Best Gas Smoker With Grill: Pitt Boss Wood Pellet And Gas Combo
Which one of these do you think is the best grill smokers combo? And did we miss any you think should be included in this guide? Please leave a comment below – I’d love to hear!!
Looking for More Cookware & Appliance Reviews?
- 18 Best Rotisserie Grills To Level Up Your BBQ Game
- 20 Best Air Fryer And Grill Combo To Save You Money
- 25 Best Hot Plates for Camping: Top Picks for Outdoor Cooking
- 12 Best Air Fryers Under $100
- The Top 15 Best Air Fryer Microwave Combo
- 30 Best Electric Pizza Ovens Customers Love
- The 5 Ultimate Best Countertop Ovens for Baking Cakes
- Alfresco Pizza Oven Review – Everything You Need To Know
- 12 Best Air Fryers Under $100
- The Top 15 Best Air Fryer Microwave Combo
- 13 Best Small Deep Fryers For Extra Crispy Snacks
- Best Juicers For Kale And Other Leafy Greens
Copyright © All Rights Reserved. Content is written by Michelle Schmidt and/or team of dwellbymichelle.com.