Best Food in Cozumel: 27 Must-Try Restaurants for a Tasty Adventure!
Cozumel is a popular destination for foodies who are looking for a unique culinary experience. The island is home to some of the best restaurants in Mexico, offering a wide range of dishes that cater to all tastes and preferences. From traditional Mexican cuisine to international dishes, Cozumel has it all.
Whether you are looking for a fine dining experience or a casual meal at local restaurants, Cozumel has a variety of options to choose from.
In this article, we have compiled a list of the 27 best foods in Cozumel, along with the restaurants where you can try them. We consider the quality of the food, the ambiance of the restaurant, and the overall dining experience to bring you the absolute best of the best.
Indulge in delicious seafood dishes, savor the flavors of traditional Mexican cuisine, try out some fusion dishes, and enjoy the unique ambiance of each restaurant.
So let’s start!
Top 7 Restaurants to Try in Cozumel
Cozumel is known for its delicious food, and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from. Here are our top 5 picks for the best restaurants to try in Cozumel:
1. Ix Kool
Ix Kool is a must-visit restaurant in Cozumel. This restaurant offers a unique dining experience with its beautiful ambiance, great food, and equally great service. The menu is full of traditional Mexican dishes, including the famous cochinita pibil.
The handmade tortillas are super memorable, and the fish tacos are a must-try. The restaurant also offers a great selection of cocktails and wine to pair with your meal.
2. Fuego By Riviera Kosher
Fuego By Riviera Kosher is a great restaurant for those looking for a mix of authentic Mexican food and international cuisine. The fish tacos and guacamole are especially delicious! The restaurant also offers a great selection of cocktails and wine.
We thought the ambiance was cozy and inviting, and appreciated the friendly service. Plus, they have reasonable prices when you convert to U.S. dollars – especially for a fancier restaurant like this. It’s a great spot for a romantic dinner, a Saturday night out with friends, and any other special occasion.
3. El Coffee Cozumel
If you’re looking for a great breakfast spot, El Coffee Cozumel is the place to be. This coffeehouse offers a variety of affordable breakfast options, including pastries, coffee drinks, and more.
The fresh-baked cakes, cookies, pies, breads, and quiches are all delicious and made daily. We loved the relaxed atmosphere – a great spot to start your day!
4. Los Guisados
Los Guisados is a favorite place for those looking for authentic Mexican tacos. The tacos are made with freshly made tortillas and a variety of fillings, including pork, beef, chicken, and vegetarian options.
One of the best things about this restaurant (besides their friendly service) is their selection of salsas and toppings to customize your taco with. The ambiance is casual and relaxed, perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
5. Cerveceria Punta Sur
Cerveceria Punta Sur is Cozumel’s first microbrewery and a great spot for beer lovers.
The brewery offers a variety of craft beers, including IPA, stout, ambers, and a light ale brewed with hibiscus flowers. The wood-fired pizzas, empanadas, and salads are all delicious and pair well with the beer.
The ambiance is casual and laid-back, which is awesome for a great night out with friends.
6. La Choza
If you’re a passenger on one of the cruise ships, be sure to check out the family-run La Choza for an authentic Mexican dining experience.
It’s located just 4 minutes away from the cruise ports by car or 11 minutes by foot. With fresh ingredients and affordable prices, La Choza is an excellent restaurant for a quick sit-down meal.
7. K’ooben Laab
For a taste of Italy in Cozumel, head to the famed Italian restaurant named K’ooben Laab for some delicious handmade pasta. From the warm decor to the knowledgeable and friendly staff, you’ll feel as if you’re being personally welcomed into a friend’s home for a comforting meal.
K’ooben Laab is hands down one of the best restaurants serving up Italian cuisine on Cozumel Island!
10 Must-Try Dishes in Cozumel & Where to Find Them
Cozumel, a beautiful island in the Caribbean, is not just famous for its turquoise waters and white-sand beaches, but also for its excellent food and fantastic restaurants. Here are the top 10 must-try dishes in Cozumel – and which restaurant is best known for them:
- If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine, you’re probably familiar with tamales. It’s a traditional Mexican dish made from masa (a type of dough made from corn) that is filled with meat, cheese, or vegetables. The mixture is then wrapped in a corn husk and steamed until cooked through. In Cozumel, El Foco is the place to go for the best tamales.
- Ceviche is a popular dish in Cozumel, and San Carlos is the best place to try it. The fish is always fresh and the marinade is tangy and flavorful.
- Cochinita Pibil is a must-try dish when visiting Cozumel. It’s a slow-cooked pork dish that is marinated in achiote paste, orange juice, and other spices. The pork is then wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in a pit until tender. It is typically served with pickled onions and tortillas. Personally, I think El Moro serves up the best version on the island! The pork is tender and juicy, and the pickled onions add a nice crunch.
- Chiles Rellenos are another classic Mexican dish, and La Choza makes them perfectly. This is a dish made from poblano peppers that are stuffed with cheese or meat, and then battered and fried. It is typically served with a tomato-based sauce and rice.
- Mole is a dish that features a rich and complex sauce. We love it at Mi Cocina! The chocolate and chili peppers give it a depth of flavor that is hard to resist.
- Tostadas are a great option for a quick and satisfying meal, and Taqueria El Pique makes some of the best in Cozumel. The crispy tortilla and flavorful toppings are a winning combination.
- Tacos al Pastor is a staple of Mexican cuisine. These are tacos made with marinated pork that is cooked on a spit and then served with pineapple, onions, and cilantro. I like the one they sell at Los Otates in Cozumel. The meat is marinated in a spicy sauce and cooked on a vertical spit, giving it a crispy exterior and juicy interior.
- Pescado a la Talla is a spicy and flavorful dish that is best enjoyed at El Moro. The fish is always fresh and the adobo sauce is perfectly balanced.
- Sopa de Lima is a traditional Mexican soup made with chicken, lime, and crispy tortilla strips. It is a really refreshing dish with a unique citrusy flavor. And if you’re looking for a great one, I recommend La Mission restaurant in Cozumel.
- Pollo Pibil is a must-try dish for chicken lovers, and El Foco is the place to go. The chicken is tender and flavorful, and the banana leaves give it a unique aroma.
10 More Delicious Food Options to Eat in Cozumel
Cozumel is a food lover’s paradise, with a wide variety of delicious dishes to try. Here are 10 more must-try food options to add to your list:
- Pescado Frito -This is a fried fish dish that is typically served whole. The fish is seasoned with salt, pepper, and lime juice, and then fried until crispy. It is usually served with rice, beans, and a side of fresh salsa.
- Chilaquiles – A breakfast dish made of tortilla chips, salsa, and shredded chicken, topped with cheese, sour cream, and avocado.
- Fajita – A dish made of grilled or sautéed meat, onions, and peppers, served with tortillas, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.
- Pozole – A hearty soup made of hominy, pork, and chilies, often served with garnishes such as lettuce, radishes, and lime wedges.
In addition to these dishes, there are also plenty of delicious desserts to try in Cozumel:
- Tres Leches Cake – This is a sponge cake that is soaked in three types of milk (hence the name) and then topped with whipped cream.
- Churros – These are fried dough pastries that are coated in cinnamon sugar and served with a side of chocolate dipping sauce.
- Flan – This is a custard dessert that is typically flavored with vanilla or caramel.
Local Street Food
And of course, no trip to Cozumel would be complete without trying some of the local street food that you can buy from food trucks and street vendors:
- Empanadas – A pastry filled with meat, cheese, or vegetables and fried until crispy.
- Elotes – This is a grilled corn dish that is typically served on a stick and coated in mayonnaise, cheese, and chili powder.
- Marquesitas: A sweet snack made of a crispy crepe-like pastry filled with shredded cheese and sweet toppings such as Nutella, condensed milk, and fruit.
BONUS: 5 Best Local Food Markets in Cozumel
Cozumel is famous for its delicious and diverse cuisine. Whether you’re craving fresh seafood, classic Mexican dishes, or just stocking up on traditional Mexican snacks to bring back home, one of the best ways to find all the best Mexican food is by visiting local food markets.
Here are the top 5 local food markets to visit in Cozumel:
1. Mercado Municipal
Located in the heart of Cozumel, this market is a must-visit for anyone looking to experience the local food culture. The market is bustling with street vendors selling fresh produce, seafood, meat, spices, and traditional Mexican dishes. Don’t miss the chance to try the famous cochinita pibil, a slow-roasted pork dish that is a Yucatan favorite.
2. Mercado de Artesanias
This market is a great place to find unique souvenirs and gifts. The market is filled with handmade crafts, jewelry, and traditional Mexican snacks like churros and elotes (corn on the cob). Take your time browsing the stalls and don’t be afraid to haggle with the vendors.
3. Mercado de Mariscos
As the name suggests, this market specializes in fresh seafood. You can find everything from shrimp and lobster to octopus and squid. Don’t miss the chance to try the ceviche or seafood cocktail, both of which are made with fresh ingredients and bursting with flavor.
4. Super Aki
This supermarket chain is a great place to stock up on groceries if you’re staying in Cozumel for an extended period of time. The store has a wide selection of fresh produce, meat, and international food products. You can also find household items and toiletries at affordable prices.
Another popular supermarket chain in Cozumel, Chedraui is known for its fresh produce, meat, and international food products. The store also has a bakery where you can find fresh bread and pastries. Don’t miss the chance to try the conchas, a sweet bread roll that is a Mexican favorite.
Cozumel is a foodie’s paradise with a wide variety of delicious dishes to try, and our list of the 27 best foods and excellent restaurants in Cozumel is just the tip of the iceberg!
There are so many more amazing dishes and restaurants to discover on this beautiful island. So if you try something else you think should be on our Best Food in Cozumel list, please leave a comment below! I’d love to add it in!
Looking for More Travel Inspiration?
- 13 Best Vegan Restaurants in Tulum + What to Avoid
- 13+ Best Travel Backpacks for Women
- 7 Best Coffee Shops in Kansas City To Try
- Going To New York City? Here Are 3 Experiences You Need To Do!
- 5 Epic Things To Do in Japan
- A Week In Seattle, Washington!
- 8 Things To Do in Fayetteville, North Carolina
- 5+ Unexpected Food You Need to Eat in Japan
- Top 5 Places To Visit In Indonesia
Subscribe to DWELL and get new travel ideas delivered straight to your inbox! In addition, follow along on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram to get all the latest updates!
Copyright © All Rights Reserved. Content is written by Michelle Schmidt and/or team of dwellbymichelle.com.