Indian cuisine is a treasure trove of flavors, spices, and unique combinations. And curries are one of the most popular foods in Indian cuisine.
Indian curry dishes are not only incredibly flavorful, bursting with spices and rich aromas, but they also have the power to transport you to the vibrant streets of India with every bite. My favorite part is Indian curry recipes can be as simple or as complex as we want.
As you explore these amazing recipes, you’ll find that preparing Indian curry dishes is much easier than you may have initially thought! So, get ready to fire up your stovetop and prep those aromatic Indian spices, because your kitchen is about to be transformed into an exotic culinary hub. Today, we’ll dive into 32 of the best Indian curry recipes of the year!
RELATED: Get a FREE trial of Amazon Prime to get access to fast grocery deliveries so you can stock up on ingredients to make these easy and delicious Indian Curry recipes!
Best Indian Curry Recipes
Get ready to explore some finger-licking Indian curry recipes. Dwellbymichelle presents easy-to-make, delicious curries that will impress your family and friends. These recipes are perfect for anyone with a love for Indian flavors.
What’s a roundup of Indian curries without a vegan option?
This Vegan Cauliflower Curry is a must-try! Combining the delicate taste of cauliflower with the richness of curry powder, coconut milk, and garam masala, this dish showcases the perfect balance of flavors.
Its delicately spiced sauce provides an explosion of taste in every spoonful. Serve it with basmati rice or your favorite flatbread, and it won’t take long before everyone’s asking for seconds.
No Indian curry listicle would be complete without a classic Chicken Curry. Our Easy Chicken Curry is perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re simply craving a comforting curry dish.
A simple blend of aromatic spices, such as turmeric, cumin, and coriander, accentuates the juicy chicken pieces. Don’t forget the secret ingredient – a dollop of yogurt, which adds a creamy texture that will leave you craving more.
Kerala Beef Curry, an authentic Kerala-style recipe, offers an aromatic and flavorful experience. The unique blend of spices, such as garam masala, chili powder, and coriander powder, combines with tender pieces of beef, creating a hearty dish that will warm your soul.
The recipe also calls for a handful of curry leaves and coconut oil, bringing forth the true essence of South Indian cooking. Serve this delightful curry with some steamed rice or Malabar parotta for a memorable meal.
Butter chicken, or murgh makhani, is a classic Indian dish that combines tender chicken pieces with a rich and creamy tomato-based sauce.
This recipe combines tomato paste, cream, and an array of Indian spices for a delicious and satisfying curry. It’s perfect for special occasions, or just when you’re craving some Indian comfort food.
This popular curry takes grilled chicken pieces and combines them with a rich, tomato-based sauce made from tomato paste, black pepper, and a blend of Indian spices.
Chicken tikka masala is a great way to introduce Indian cuisine to anyone who might be hesitant to try more robust curries. Its complex flavor profile will have you craving more.
This creamy chicken korma combines tender chicken with a rich and aromatic sauce made from yogurt, onions, tomatoes, and an array of spices such as garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
This Instant Pot coconut chicken curry features juicy chicken pieces cooked in a fragrant, creamy coconut sauce with tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, and a blend of Indian spices.
This chickpea spinach curry is a healthy, vegan dish that combines hearty chickpeas, tender spinach, and a flavorful tomato-based sauce with onions, garlic, ginger, and Indian spices.
A comforting chickpea and potato curry recipe that combines soft potatoes, protein-packed chickpeas, and a flavorful sauce made from tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a blend of aromatic spices.
This beef vindaloo features tender, slow-cooked beef in a fiery, tangy sauce made with tomatoes, vinegar, onions, and a bold mix of Indian spices like cumin, coriander, and mustard seeds.
This dish showcases succulent meatballs infused with Indian spices, served in a rich and creamy curry sauce made from tomatoes, onions, coconut milk, and an aromatic blend of spices.
This lamb vindaloo features tender, marinated lamb cooked in a bold, spicy sauce made with vinegar, onions, tomatoes, and a blend of vindaloo spices.
This mango chicken curry combines tender chicken pieces with a sweet and tangy mango sauce, featuring a blend of Indian spices, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger.
These Bombay potatoes are a flavorful, vegan side dish made with crispy, spiced potatoes cooked in a tomato-based sauce with garlic, ginger, and a blend of Indian spices.
This Indian lamb curry features tender, slow-cooked lamb in a rich, aromatic sauce made from onions, tomatoes, yogurt, and a blend of spices such as coriander, cumin, and garam masala.
Lamb rogan josh is a popular Kashmiri curry that features slow-cooked tender lamb pieces in a flavorful, spiced sauce. This dish uses a blend of Indian spices and black pepper, producing a warming and inviting aroma. It’s a great way to provide your guests with a delicious and memorable meal for special occasions.
This chicken saag recipe combines tender, marinated chicken with a creamy spinach sauce, flavored with garlic, ginger, onions, and a blend of Indian spices.
Rajma masala is a comforting, vegetarian dish that features kidney beans simmered in a flavorful tomato-based sauce with onions, garlic, ginger, and a medley of Indian spices.
Egg curry is a unique and satisfying dish made with boiled eggs cooked in a spicy, tomato-based sauce. This recipe uses turmeric powder, black pepper, and a variety of Indian spices to create a bold and flavorful curry. It’s an excellent option for a protein-rich, meat-free meal.
This Methi Malai Paneer is a restaurant-style paneer curry that combines soft paneer cubes, fresh fenugreek leaves, and a velvety, creamy sauce made with onions, tomatoes, cashews, and aromatic spices.
This ground beef curry features savory, spiced ground beef cooked in a rich and flavorful sauce with onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, and a blend of Indian spices.
Aromatic and creamy, vegetable korma is a fantastic vegetarian option that showcases a variety of vegetables in a rich curry sauce. Indian spices are mixed with coconut milk and tomato paste to create a balanced and delightful curry that pairs wonderfully with naan or rice.
This kofta kebab masala showcases juicy, spiced meatballs in a thick, creamy tomato-based sauce made with onions, garlic, ginger, and a blend of Indian spices.
This mushroom masala is a vegetarian dish that combines tender, sautéed mushrooms with a creamy, spiced tomato sauce made from onions, garlic, ginger, and a medley of Indian spices.
Shrimp curry offers a delightful seafood twist on traditional Indian curries. A blend of tomato paste, turmeric powder, and Indian spices creates a vibrant curry sauce that beautifully complements the tender shrimp. It’s an ideal dish for a light and refreshing change from heavier meat-based curries.
This karahi gosht features tender, slow-cooked meat in a rich, tomato-based sauce, flavored with garlic, ginger, green chilies, and a blend of aromatic Indian spices.
This tofu curry is a vegan dish that combines crispy, pan-fried tofu with a creamy, spiced coconut sauce made from tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, and a blend of Indian spices.
This chicken pathia combines tender chicken pieces with a sweet, tangy, and slightly spicy sauce made from onions, tomatoes, tamarind paste, and a mix of Indian spices.
This Indian fish curry features flaky, delicate fish simmered in a fragrant, coconut-based sauce with tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, and a blend of Indian spices such as turmeric and coriander.
Making curry doesn’t always mean meat – paneer makhani is a classic vegetarian dish made with soft Indian paneer cheese in a creamy, flavorful curry sauce. The combination of tomato paste, Indian spices, and cream create a rich, velvety curry that is perfect for serving at your next dinner party or just when you want a hearty, delicious vegetarian option.
This tasty vegan curry features chickpeas (chana) as the star ingredient, cooked in a tangy, spiced tomato sauce. Turmeric powder and other Indian spices give this dish its unique, bold flavor, while still being approachable for those new to Indian cuisine. It’s an ideal dish for potlucks or feeding a crowd, and leftovers taste even better the next day.
This curry combines ground beef (keema) with potatoes (aloo) in a mouthwatering, spiced tomato sauce. Indian spices and black pepper give this dish deep, inviting flavors that are perfect for a family dinner or an evening in with friends.
The Bhuna Masala is the base of many Indian curry recipes. It’s a versatile and aromatic spice blend that consists of onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and various aromatic spices like cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. You can prepare this sauce in a pressure cooker, which significantly reduces cooking time while still infusing the flavors.
Introduce your tomatoes and needed dry spices like red chili powder, turmeric, and coriander into the mix. Allow the Bhuna Masala mixture to simmer in the pressure cooker and then blend everything together once it’s cooled down.
32 Best Indian Curry Recipes This Year
- Vegan Cauliflower Curry
- Easy Chicken Curry
- Kerala Beef Curry
- Butter Chicken
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Chicken Korma
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry
- Chickpea Spinach Curry (Chana Palak Masala)
- Chickpea and Potato Curry
- Beef Vindaloo
- Indian Meatballs in Curry Sauce
- Lamb Vindaloo
- Mango Chicken (Indian Curry)
- Easy Bombay Potatoes (Restaurant Style)
- Indian Lamb Curry
- Lamb Rogan Josh
- Chicken Saag
- Rajma Masala – Kidney Beans Curry
- Egg Curry
- Methi Malai Paneer
- Ground Beef Curry
- Vegetable Korma
- Kofta Curry (Beef Meatball Curry)
- Mushroom Masala
- Shrimp Curry
- Karahi Gosht
- Tofu Curry
- Spicy Chicken Pathia
- Indian Fish Curry with Coconut Milk
- Paneer Makhani
- Chana Masala
- Keema Aloo
- Indian Curry Sauce Bhuna Masala
- Click the Indian curry recipe you’d like to make for its full list of ingredients and directions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best curry from India?
It’s difficult to say what the “best” Indian curry is, as Indian cuisine is incredibly diverse and there are countless types of curries with different flavors, ingredients, and regional variations.
It ultimately comes down to personal preference, as some people may prefer spicier curries while others enjoy milder ones, and some may have dietary restrictions that influence their choice of curry.
Some popular Indian curries include butter chicken, tikka masala, rogan josh, and vindaloo, among many others.
What is the secret to the best Indian curry?
Here are some tips to help you make the best Indian curry:
- Use fresh ingredients: The quality of your ingredients can make a huge difference in the flavor of your curry. Using fresh spices, herbs, and vegetables will give your dish a vibrant and authentic taste.
- Toast your spices: Toasting your spices before adding them to the curry can help release their full flavor and aroma. Simply heat a dry pan on medium-high heat and add your whole spices, stirring frequently until fragrant.
- Don’t skimp on the spices: Indian cuisine is known for its bold and complex flavors, so don’t be afraid to use a generous amount of spices in your curry.
- Cook low and slow: Allowing your curry to simmer for a longer period of time will help the flavors meld together and create a rich and flavorful sauce.
- Finish with a touch of acidity: A squeeze of lemon juice or a splash of vinegar can help balance out the flavors of your curry and give it a tangy kick.
What is the secret ingredient in Indian curry?
There is no single secret ingredient in Indian curry, as different regions and recipes use different combinations of spices, herbs, and other ingredients to create their unique flavors. However, some of the common elements that you might find in most curries are:
- Onion, ginger, and garlic: These three ingredients form the base of many curries, providing a deep and aromatic flavor. They can be cooked in different ways, such as softening without browning for a lighter curry or caramelizing for a richer and darker curry.
- Spices: Spices are essential for bringing out the complexity and warmth of curries. Some of the most popular spices used in Indian curries are turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, curry powder, fenugreek, cardamom, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Spices can be added whole, ground or roasted depending on the recipe.
- Something to give it body: Curries need something to thicken and enrich their sauces. This can be one or more of the following: tomatoes, pureed peppers or chilies, yogurt or cream, coconut milk, spinach or finely diced or pureed onion. These ingredients also add flavor and color to the curry.
- Salt: Salt is important for balancing the flavors and enhancing the taste of curries. It can be added as regular salt, or as other forms such as amchur (dried mango powder), tamarind (sour fruit pulp), lemon juice or vinegar.
- Fresh herbs: Fresh herbs add freshness and brightness to curries, especially at the end of cooking. Some of the common herbs used in Indian curries are cilantro, mint, curry leaves, fenugreek leaves and basil.
Which curry is the best in the world?
It’s difficult to say which curry is the best in the world, as curries are a diverse and popular dish found in many different cultures and regions around the world.
Indian curries are perhaps the most well-known and popular type of curry.
Thai curries, like green curry and red curry, are also famous for their bold and aromatic flavors, while Japanese curries are known for their mild and sweet taste.
Other countries that have their own unique takes on curry include Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Caribbean.
In Malaysia, for example, the national dish is nasi lemak, which is a coconut milk-based curry served with rice, while in the Caribbean, curried goat is a popular and beloved dish.
Ultimately, the best curry in the world is subjective and depends on personal taste and preferences.
What curry is best for beginners? What is the best curry to try first?
If you’re a beginner to Indian cuisine and curries, it’s best to start with a mild and simple dish that is not too spicy or complex. Here are some Indian curries that are perfect for beginners:
- Butter chicken: This is a classic Indian dish that features tender pieces of chicken cooked in a rich and creamy tomato sauce. It has a mild flavor and is not too spicy, making it a great option for those who are new to Indian cuisine.
- Chicken Korma: Another mild and creamy curry that is great for beginners is chicken korma. It features tender pieces of chicken cooked in a sauce made with coconut milk, yogurt, and aromatic spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves.
- Chana Masala: If you’re a vegetarian, chana masala is a great option to try. It’s a chickpea curry that is flavored with onions, tomatoes, and a blend of fragrant spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric.
- Dal Makhani: This is a popular lentil-based curry that is creamy and flavorful, but not too spicy. It’s made with black lentils, kidney beans, and a blend of spices like cumin, coriander, and garam masala.
Looking for More Indian-Inspired Recipes?
- How To Make Masoor Dal Tadka (Indian Red Lentil Dal)
- Kerala Beef Curry ( Authentic Kerala Style Recipe )
- How to Make Paneer Tikka in the Oven
- Easy Chicken Curry (GF, DF)
- 1-Pot Vegan Cauliflower Curry (GF, DF, VG)
- Indian Masala Chai Spiced Overnight Oats
- Indian Veggie Samosa Recipe
- Easy 5-Minute Samosa Chaat
- Authentic Chicken Pulao Recipe
- Delicious Malabar Beef Biryani with Pressure Cooker
- How to Make Butter Naan (Authentic Indian Flatbread)
If you make any one of these easy & delicious Indian curry recipes, please drop a comment below on which ones are your favorites! I’d LOVE to know what you think!
Copyright © All Rights Reserved. Content is written by Michelle Schmidt and/or team of dwellbymichelle.com.