The Quest for Fluffy, Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes
At the beginning of last year, I came across a recipe called “2-Ingredient Banana Pancakes” on Pinterest. The ingredients? Just 1 banana and 2 eggs. My eyes lit up; could it really be that simple? As someone who’s had her fair share of pancakes in life, I was very eager to try this easy version of gluten-free pancakes. I wanted to test its claims, and perfectly enough, had extra ripe bananas on the counter! So off I whisked, and 15 minutes later, took my first bite.
While I understand how the result is reminiscent of a pancake, the 2-ingredient pancake recipe tasted more like banana omelettes to me. Compared to traditional pancakes, these were quite flat, and had more of a crepe texture than pancakes. In addition, due to the fact that it’s only 2 ingredients, the egg flavor was a bit strong for my pancake preference.
If you’re looking for a healthier crepe substitute, by all means, I recommend it! As a “pancake snob”, however, that experience inspired me to come up with a gluten-free banana pancake recipe that is just as simple to make, yet features the lightness and fluffiness of regular pancakes. And just like that, this incredibly FLUFFY Gluten-Free Banana Pancake Recipe was born – and has been a staple in our home since!
RELATED: Mochi Waffles Recipe (Crispy On The Outside, Chewy On The Inside!)
Straight out of the griddle!
Ingredients to Make Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes
- 2 very ripe bananas , mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cashew milk , sub regular or other nut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (Don’t have oat flour? No problem! Just grind up 1 3/4 cups of rolled oats in your blender and you have homemade oat flour!)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
How to Make Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas with a fork or whisk. Add in eggs, cashew milk, vanilla, melted coconut oil. Mix until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- On low/medium heat, lightly brush or spray griddle or skillet with some coconut oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Transfer pancakes onto a plate, drizzle with maple syrup, then add your preferred toppings. ENJOY!
Just like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, everyone prefers their pancakes a little differently – and that’s okay! Here are some ingredients that you can mix into the batter, or top your cooked pancakes with. With these, everyone can make their perfect stack!
- Rolled Oats: sub in 1/2 cup of rolled oats for 1/2 cup of the oat flour to get some texture!
- Make it vegan: sub 2 flax eggs for the regular eggs
- Add fresh fruits: blueberries, strawberries, extra bananas, apples, and more!
- Add chopped nuts: pecans, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, or cashews!
- Other Topping Ideas: top or mix in chocolate chips, peanut butter, jam, honey, coconut flakes, or hemp seeds!
- Add Protein Powder: sub 1/4 cup of protein powder for 1/4 cup of the oat flour.
Want More Breakfast Ideas?
- Easy Breakfast Tacos (GF, DF, V Options)
- Maple Pumpkin Oat Bars (GF, DF, V)
- Berry Orange Banana Smoothie!
- Dark Chocolate Coconut Granola (GF, DF, V)
- Pink Power Pitaya Smoothie Bowl (GF, DF, V)
- Matcha Granola Clumps (GF, DF)
- Mochi Waffles Recipe (Crispy On The Outside, Chewy On The Inside!)
If you make this recipe, feel free to drop a comment below! I’d LOVE to know what you think!
The Most Fluffy Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes! (GF, DF, V)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.