This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Texas and Tortillas!
Up until my freshman year of college, I never knew what good tortillas tasted like. How they’re slightly puffy, warm and golden, never hard, and certainly never doughy. Just perfect. To be fair, Mexican food isn’t as big of a deal in Indonesia as it is here in the States. And of all the 50 states I chose to attend college in, it had to be Texas – the land of Tex-Mex. So of course, the first restaurant I frequented was a Tex-Mex restaurant. And let me tell you, it didn’t take longer than 5 seconds for my tastebuds to shout “OH MY” when I took my first bite of tacos, delicious tacos.
Unfortunately for me, I had thought (for the longest time!) that homemade tortillas were super hard to make. So it wasn’t until a few years ago that I made fresh, warm, delicious flour tortillas FROM SCRATCH! And here’s what I learned: it’s not hard. AT ALL.
All you need is 25 minutes, a handful of steps, and 4 ingredients! This recipe is so easy and so delicious, you’ll never miss store-bought tortillas again! Just mix, roll out, warm, and enjoy! This recipe is sure to be a hit, especially when paired with our famous Mexican Tomato Salad!
Homemade Flour Tortillas: The Ingredients
Let me tell you a secret: you are always just 4 ingredients away from upgrading your quesadillas, burritos, tacos, and enchiladas. How cool is that? And trust me, once you make the switch, you’ll never settle for store-bought tortillas.
So incredible, and yet so simple! Here’s all you need:
- All-purpose flour
- Sea Salt
- Hot Water
- Olive Oil
Tips & Tricks for the BEST Flour Tortillas
Use Hot Water: For the best tortillas, your water should be very hot, but not boiling. Please don’t substitute for lukewarm water, as it will prevent dough from coming together smoothly.
Roll Evenly: When you are rolling the dough into flat circles, make sure to roll evenly over the edges so the tortillas have the same thickness. This will help it cook more evenly.
Look for Golden Brown: Cook each side of the tortillas for 45 seconds. You’ll want to look for a nice golden brown color, but not burnt. Adjust your heat accordingly between medium to medium-high heat.
Covering It Up: Keep the tortillas nice and moist by keeping each cooked tortillas inside a towel to trap the heat and ensure your tortillas stay warm by the time you’re ready to eat.
Want More Deliciousness?
Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Cast Iron Pan or Non-Stick Pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup hot water
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour for dusting
- Add flour and salt into a large bowl. Whisk until combined. Form a well in the middle of the mixture then add olive oil and water.
- Mix with a spatula or hand until dough is completely combined and a ball is formed.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for 1 minute, then divide into 6 equal parts. Roll each part into a ball, then lightly press down to flatten. Flour dough on both sides and set aside. Cover with a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a griddle, large cast iron pan, or non-stick pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Working one at a time, take out a dough ball and roll it out until they are approximately 8-inch in diameter. Transfer the rolled out dough into the pan or griddle and cook for 45 seconds per side, or until golden.
- Remove the tortilla from the pan and cover with a warm towel. Repeat with the remaining dough. ENJOY!