A few years ago, I had corn nuggets for the first time at the Texas State Fair. I loved it so much that I decided to figure out how to make corn nuggets so I can enjoy them at home too!
The Best Corn Nuggets Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious, quick, and easy snack, then these deep-fried corn nuggets might be just what you’re looking for. These crispy and savory corn fritters are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a party, a movie night, or just a quick snack. In this recipe, I’ll show you how to make corn friterrs the easy way!
RELATED: Get a FREE trial of Amazon Prime to get access to free deliveries of your corn nuggets ingredients!
What are Corn Nuggets?
Corn nuggets are a crispy snack made from a mixture of flour, sweet corn, and a few other basic ingredients. They are typically shaped into bite-sized pieces and deep-fried until golden brown. This crispy and savory snack is loved by people of all ages and can be served as a side dish or as a party appetizer.
Personally, my family loves these crispy corn fritters as a vegan alternative to traditional fried chicken nuggets. They are also a great way to use up leftover corn and can be made in just a few minutes.
With the right ingredients and a little bit of know-how, you can easily make your own corn nuggets at home too.
What You Need to Make Corn Nuggets
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or substitute with more milk)
- 2 tbsp butter or shortening, melted
- 2 cans corn, rinsed and drained
- vegetable oil, for frying
How to Make Corn Nuggets
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder until well combined.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, heavy cream, and shortening. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a rubber spatula. Fold in the drained corn kernels until just combined. Refrigerate for 1 hour until the corn batter is more firm.
- Using a deep fryer, a large deep skillet, or a large pot, heat the frying oil until it reaches 360°F. Once hot, use a scoop to drop spoonfuls of the corn mixture into the hot oil. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and fry until the corn nuggets are golden brown.
- Transfer the corn fritters to a large plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels to remove excess grease. These cooked nuggets are best served warm. ENJOY!
What do you eat with corn nuggets?
Now that you’ve made homemade corn nuggets, it’s time to decide what to eat with them. Here are some of my favorite ways to eat corn nuggets:
- Barbecue sauce or ketchup: These sauces are the classic pairing for corn nuggets. Dip your nuggets in either of these sauces for a tangy, sweet flavor.
- Sambal Aioli (Hot Chili Aioli) Dipping Sauce: My favorite dipping sauce to pair with this corn nugget recipe. Highly recommended!
- Sour cream: A dollop of sour cream on top of your corn nuggets adds a creamy, tangy flavor that pairs well with the sweetness of the corn.
- Chili: If you’re looking for a heartier meal, serve your corn nuggets alongside a bowl of chili. The corn nuggets will add a nice crunch to the chili.
- Green salad: If you want to balance out the richness of the corn nuggets, serve them with a fresh green salad. The salad will add some much-needed freshness and crunch to your meal.
Experiment with different sauces and sides to find your favorite pairing. You can also try adding different spices or herbs to your corn nuggets to give them a unique flavor.
How to Store Leftover Corn Nuggets
Once you’ve made your delicious corn nuggets, you may have some leftovers that you want to save for later. Here are some tips on how to store them:
- If you have any leftover corn nuggets, let them cool down to room temperature before storing them.
- Place the corn nuggets in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag to prevent them from drying out.
- You can store the corn nuggets in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- If you want to store them for longer, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat your leftover corn nuggets, you have a few options for reheating them:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake the corn nuggets for 10-15 minutes until they’re heated through.
- You can also reheat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, but they may not be as crispy as when they were freshly made.
Remember, it’s always best to eat your corn nuggets as soon as possible after making them for the best flavor and texture.
Tips and Variations
Tip 1: Perfecting the Batter
The batter is the key to achieving crispy and delicious corn nuggets. Make sure to mix the dry ingredients well before adding the wet ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to mix the batter gently and avoid overmixing. The batter should be thick enough to coat the corn kernels but not too thick that it becomes clumpy.
Tip 2: Freezing the Nuggets
Freezing the nuggets before frying them can help to keep their shape and prevents them from falling apart. If you’d like to try this, place the formed nuggets on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze them for at least 2 hours before frying. You can also freeze the nuggets overnight and fry them the next day.
Variation 1: Cheesy Corn Nuggets
If you’re a cheese lover, try adding shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese to the batter. Mix the cheese with the dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients. The cheese will melt and create a gooey center in the nuggets.
Variation 2: Spicy Corn Nuggets
If you like a bit of heat, add some chopped jalapenos or red pepper flakes to the batter. You can also sprinkle some cayenne pepper or chili powder on the nuggets after frying for an extra kick. Serve with a side of ranch dressing to cool down the spice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are corn nuggets hush puppies?
While corn nuggets and hush puppies share some similarities, they are not the same thing. Hush puppies are deep-fried balls of cornmeal batter, whereas corn nuggets are made with a mixture of flour, cornmeal, and other ingredients, and are often filled with whole corn kernels.
What are other names for corn nuggets?
Corn nuggets go by many different names, including fried corn, corn fritters, corn bites, and corn poppers. No matter what you call them, these crispy and delicious bites are sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Where are corn nuggets from?
The origins of corn nuggets are unclear, but they are a popular snack food throughout the United States. Some people believe that they originated in the Southern United States, Asia, or South America, where corn is a staple food and variations of corn fritters are popular.
What are Corn Nuggets Made of?
The main ingredients of corn nuggets are flour, milk, eggs, sweet corn, creamed corn, and various seasonings to create a batter. The batter is then mixed with corn kernels and fried until golden brown.
The exact ingredients can vary depending on the recipe, but most corn nugget recipes include some combination of the following:
- Sweet Corn kernels
- Seasonings (such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, or paprika)
- Oil for frying
The corn kernels provide bursts of sweetness and crunch while the flour helps to bind everything together and the milk and eggs add moisture and richness.
Looking for More Comfort Food & Snacks Recipes?
- Easy Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers & Sauce Copycat Recipe
- Quick Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Quiejo)
- The BEST Mac and Cheese Bites (Three Cheese!)
- Extra Crispy Air Fryer Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)
- The Ultimate Starbucks Grilled Cheese Copycat Recipe
- Outback Steakhouse Potato Soup (Copycat Recipe!)
- Viral TikTok Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Tahu Goreng Krispi (Indonesian Crispy Fried Tofu)
- Super Easy Quaker Cornbread
- Easy Tri-Tip Sandwich (Mike’s Grill Copycat)
- Extra Cheesy Hot Nacho Dip (GF, V)
- Ridiculously Easy Maple Cinnamon Rolls
If you make this easy Corn Nuggets recipe, please drop a comment below! I’d LOVE to know what you think! Or take a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging @dwellbymichelle so I can repost it on my stories!
Copyright © All Rights Reserved. Content is written by Michelle Schmidt of dwellbymichelle.com.
How to Make Corn Nuggets (Easy & Delicious!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder until well-combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, heavy cream, and shortening. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and mix together with a rubber spatula. Fold in the drained corn kernels until just combined. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Transfer the corn fritters to a large plate or baking sheet lined with paper towel to remove excess grease. These corn nuggets are best served warm. ENJOY!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.