One of my favorite parts about the summer is all the delicious, fresh cantaloupes available in my local farmer’s markets. But when I end up buying too many cantaloupes and don’t have enough time to eat them all, I freeze them! Frozen cantaloupes are great in smoothies, and if you are wondering how to do the same, here is a simple step-by-step process to show you exactly how to freeze cantaloupe.
Can I Freeze Cantaloupe?
Yes, you can freeze cantaloupes.
When Is the Best Time to Freeze a Cantaloupe?
The best time to freeze cantaloupe is when it’s ripe and you’re ready to enjoy it.
When you are at the grocery store or your local farmer’s market looking for some fresh cantaloupe, here’s how to know if a cantaloupe is ripe:
- The rind of the cantaloupe has a distinct yellow-ish webbing
- You can tell how ripe a cantaloupe is by how it feels. A ripe cantaloupe will feel heavy for its size. You want to feel how much water has accumulated inside and how soft the skin feels on the other side.
- The stem end of the cantaloupe will give slightly when pressed with your finger. You can also check how firm it is by pressing on the skin between your thumb and index finger.
How to Freeze Cantaloupe
Once you’ve found the perfect ripe cantaloupe, I like to cut half to eat now and freeze the rest to enjoy later (especially delicious in smoothies!)
Here’s how to freeze cantaloupes:
- Wash the cantaloupe with cold water and pat dry with a towel
- Using a sturdy sharp knife, cut the cantaloupe into chunks, remove the seeds, and discard the rinds.
- Place the cut cantaloupes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and put in the freezer for about an hour, or until frozen through.
- Once frozen, transfer the pieces of fruit into freezer-friendly storage bags or airtight containers.
- Store the bagged cantaloupe pieces in the freezer, where they will last for up to 10 months if stored correctly.
Enjoy Cantaloupes All Year Long
So now that you know how to freeze cantaloupes the right way, you can avoid wasting perfectly good cantaloupes by freezing them next time!
Looking for Easy Summer Recipes?
- Simple & Delicious Pitaya Smoothie Bowl (GF, DF, V)
- Berry Orange Banana Smoothie (GF, DF, V)
- Copycat Starbucks Strawberry Lemonade (Secret Menu Recipe)
- Star Drink Starbucks Copycat Recipe
- Easy Cherry Coconut Creamsicles (GF, DF, VG)
- Tropical Mermaid Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein Smoothie (GF, DF, Vegan-Friendly)
- Fresh Strawberry Oat Bars (GF, DF, V)
- Copycat Starbucks Caramel Syrup (For Coffee & More)
- Berries & Cream Whole Wheat Crepes
- Iced Cold Brew Latte (Healthy Starbucks Copycat)
- How to Make Nitro Cold Brew Coffee (Better than Starbucks!)
- Vegan Mango & Vanilla Panna Cotta (GF, DF, V)
- Easy Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato Copycat Recipe
- Simple Ube Ice Cream (GF, V)
- McAlister’s Deli World Famous Sweet Tea ™ (Copycat Recipe!)
- Hokkaido Milk Tea (Easy & Delicious!)
If you enjoyed learning about how to freeze cantaloupe, please drop a comment below! I’d LOVE to know what you think! Or take a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging @dwellbymichelle so I can repost it on my stories!