This delicious and tangy condiment is the best white barbecue sauce ever! It tastes incredible on grilled meats or as a dip for fries and nuggets! It’s made with mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, garlic, sugar, and easy-to-find spices. If you’re looking for an easy sauce for your summertime cookouts, I hope you give it a try!
RELATED: Get a FREE trial of Amazon Prime to get access to same-day grocery deliveries!
Is white sauce a southern thing?
White sauce is not solely a southern thing, but it is popular in certain southern dishes. It is commonly used in barbecue sauces (like in this recipe!), alfredo sauces, and gravies.
What is Alabama White BBQ sauce made of?
Alabama white barbecue sauce is the perfect blend of mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, horseradish, and sometimes Worcestershire sauce.
This recipe is inspired by the famous Northern Alabama BBQ sauce, but it’s not exactly the same. Our white sauce recipe is simpler and requires much fewer and more basic ingredients – while still tasting incredible!
What does Alabama White BBQ sauce taste like?
Alabama White BBQ sauce is a tangy, mayonnaise-based sauce that is savory, slightly sweet, and perfectly tangy. It has a mayonnaise and vinegar base, with a hint of horseradish and garlic, as well as other spices like cayenne pepper, mustard, and salt.
The result is a creamy and flavorful sauce that is perfect for coating chicken, pork, or ribs.
Who is famous for white BBQ sauce?
Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q is most famous for its Southern white BBQ sauce.
It’s so delicious and is what actually inspired this recipe 🙂
What are the 4 styles of barbecue sauce?
The four styles of barbecue sauce are: 1) tomato-based BBQ sauce, 2) vinegar-based sauce, 3) mustard-based BBQ sauce, and 4) mayonnaise-based sauces.
This homemade white bbq sauce has a mayonnaise base that’s complemented with tangy vinegar.
What You Need to Make the Best White Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit for non-spicy version)
- ½ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
How to Make the Best White Barbecue Sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the white barbecue sauce to an airtight jar or another airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. ENJOY!
How to Serve White Barbecue Sauce
This white barbecue sauce is a delicious and flavorful condiment that can be served in many different ways: as a marinade, baste or topping, or evening dressing. Here are some of our favorites!
- Slather the sauce on meat sandwiches, like in a Tri-Tip Sandwich
- Use it to accompany any grilled meat, like pork chops, pork tenderloin, chicken thighs, beef brisket,
- As a dipping sauce for french fries, chicken wings, onion rings, smoked chicken, and BBQ chicken tenders.
- It can also be used to top macaroni salad and potato salad for added flavor.
- Thin down this tangy sauce with some water and use it as a salad dressing!
- To serve it up in its most traditional form, try serving it alongside pulled pork sandwiches or smothered over a plate of ribs.
- For a sweet twist, add honey to the sauce or use it as a glaze on grilled fish or vegetables.
- Add a teaspoon of hot sauce for a little more kick!
We love that this Southern white barbecue sauce is such a versatile condiment that can bring out all sorts of flavors in whatever you choose to put it on!
Looking for More Easy Dip & Sauce Recipes?
- Extra Cheesy Hot Nacho Dip (GF, V)
- Game Day Favorite Herbed Garlic Dip (GF, DF, VG)
- Holiday Favorite Creamy Cranberry Dip (GF, DF, VG)
- 7-Ingredient Simple Marinara Dip (GF, DF, VG)
- Sambal Aioli (Hot Chili Aioli) Dipping Sauce
- How To Make Spicy Mayo Sauce (5 Ingredients!)
- How to Make Drawn Butter (Easy & Delicious with Crab & Lobster)
- 10-minute Sambal Oelek Red Chili Paste (Better Than Walmart!)
- Creamy Walnut Parsley Pesto Sauce (No Pine Nuts!)
- The Ultimate Taco Truck Green Sauce Recipe
- Copycat Chuy’s Boom Boom Sauce Recipe
- How to Make Red Chile Sauce from Powder
- The Best Remoulade Sauce Recipe for Crab Cakes
- The Best Soyaki Sauce Recipe
- Japanese Chuno Sauce Recipe
- The BEST Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe
- El Pollo Loco Cilantro Dressing Copycat Recipe
We think this is the absolute BEST White Barbecue Sauce recipe – and one of the easiest to make, but we’d love to know what you think! If you gave this recipe a try, please drop a comment below! Or take a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging @dwellbymichelle so I can repost it on my stories!
Best White Barbecue Sauce Recipe (So Easy!)
Copyright © All Rights Reserved. Content is written by Michelle Schmidt of dwellbymichelle.com.