This Splendid Spoon Meal Subscription Review was last updated on January 2023. This article contains affiliate links, but all opinions are strictly my own. Here at DWELL, you can be confident that we will only promote products we believe in and use ourselves. For more information, please read our disclosure policy here.
Splendid Spoon Meal Subscription Service
Since the pandemic started, I’ve noticed that more and more people are turning towards meal subscription services – did you guys notice that too?
There’s just something so attractive about the convenience, structure, and even the adventure of trying new meals – especially when going out may not be an option!
In the last few months, I’ve gotten a few meal subscriptions myself on weeks I know I’ll be extremely busy and on the go! One of those is Splendid Spoon!
So today, I’ll be sharing with you my experience with this company. And in case you’ve never heard of them before, Splendid Spoon is a fully vegan meal subscription service.
I first tried Splendid Spoon in 2020, and have since tried other meals from their menu. Now that I’ve tasted many of their meals, I thought it would be helpful to give my honest review of Splendid Spoon in case you’re looking into getting a box yourself.
As always, you’ll hear the good, the bad, and everything in-between so you can decide if Splendid Spoon is right for you.
Let’s get started!
About Splendid Spoon
Splendid Spoon is a healthy meal delivery service that caters to the vegan, plant-based, gluten-free, and non-GMO niche. Plus, most of their meals are also low-sodium and have no added sugar. However, unlike other meal delivery services where they send you ingredients and recipe cards to make your meals, Splendid Spoon offers ready-made food. According to their website:
“80% of our meals are eaten during those hectic “in-between” and “on-the-go” moments of life. Splendid Spoon solves for that with nutrient-dense smoothies, soups, and grain bowls that are delivered ready to eat.
Splendid Spoon offers ready-to-eat, nourishing, plant-based smoothies, soups and grain bowls. Our plans are designed to create healthy routines for breakfast and lunch, so you can reach your health goals. Each meal contains fresh plant-based, gluten-free, and GMO-free ingredients – all clean ingredients.“Splendid Spoon
How does Splendid Spoon subscription work?
As of this writing, there are four meal plans subscribers can choose from:
- Breakfast: 5 Smoothies for $65 per week
- Breakfast+Lunch: 5 smoothies, 5 soup & grain bowls for $95 per week
- Breakfast, Lunch + Reset: 5 smoothies, 5 bowls, 5 light soups for $135 per week
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner + Reset: 5 smoothies, 5 soup & grain bowls, 5 noodles, 5 light soups for $185 per week
Once you choose a plan, you’ll then get to choose the meals that go in your box. Right now, Splendid Spoon has over 50 items subscribers can choose from, including:
- Smoothies: “Low-sugar smoothies to sip for breakfast, in transit, or anywhere life takes you.” – 15 varieties
- Bowls (Soups and Grains): “Vegi-loaded, delicious soups and grain bowls that take the stress out of “What’s for lunch today?” – 30 varieties
- Noodles: “Noodle bowls packed with veggies and topped with good-for-you sauces. Healthy comfort food that’s ready in minutes.” – 8 varieties
- The Reset: “Light soups designed to reset your digestive system in one day. It’s a day of self care in our favorite format: soup.” – 5 varieties
- Wellness Shots: “Immune-boosting shots that provide a quick and easy dose of nutrients. Ideal for on-the-go.” – 3 varieties
My Honest Review of Splendid Spoon
Below, you’ll find my comprehensive review of all the Splendid Spoon boxes I’ve tried since 2020. These are my own opinions regarding the quality of their delivery, packaging, and of course – their meals.
Splendid Spoon Review: Delivery & Packaging
Currently, Splendid Spoon delivers to the contiguous United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii). Their delivery windows are restricted to Wednesday or Friday, and I received mine on Friday! My Splendid Spoon box came very well-packaged in its fairly large box. When I removed the insulated packaging, I was pleased to find that the smoothies, bowls, and wellness shots were carefully packaged and still frozen inside. And fun fact: all the Splendid Spoon boxes, bottles, and bowls are 100% BPA-free and recyclable.
Splendid Spoon Review: What I’ve Received in My Box
- Mango Guava: This smoothie reminded me so much of my childhood in Indonesia, or any tropical country for that matter! Evan and I are suckers for mangoes, so we split this one and both enjoyed how creamy and perfectly fruity this was!
- Strawberry Goji: Growing up drinking strawberry juice, I definitely appreciated the clear taste of strawberries in this smoothie. Plus, the addition of cashew butter and pea protein made it more filling than regular juice and balanced out the sweetness of the strawberries and goji.
- Blueberry Coconut: While I like blueberries and I like coconuts, I am not a fan of how “textured” this smoothie is. As such, this was not my favorite smoothie – but my husband Evan (who doesn’t mind the whole chia seeds and coconut bits) did like it!
- Dragon Fruit Berry: The flavor of this smoothie was somewhat underwhelming, but delicious nonetheless. I enjoyed this smoothie as a light morning snack and it really did give me that mid-morning boost I needed.
- Mint Chip: I REALLY enjoyed this smoothie! As a huge mint chocolate chip ice cream fan, this smoothie delivered! And my favorite part about this is how much healthier this smoothie is vs my regular mint chip ice cream (duh!) Overall, I loved the thicker blend and do think it’s the more filling of the smoothie bunch.
- Green Matcha: this super creamy smoothie reminded me a bit of nice-cream! The texture was definitely thicker like the mint chip smoothie, but the taste is more “earthy” (because duh, matcha). As a matcha lover, I liked this smoothie! However, if you don’t like matcha, you may find it not sweet enough.
- Orange Hibiscus: The orange flavor of this smoothie really stood out and it was very refreshing! I thought it was lighter consistency than the other smoothies (similar to the dragon fruit berry smoothie, but a bit more filling!)
- Cacao Almond: This was a great shot at a “chocolate smoothie” flavor. It’s hard to go wrong with the classic combination of bananas, nut butter, and cacao.
- Aloo Gobi Quinoa: This bowl was our favorite of the first Splendid Spoon box. The combination of cauliflower, potatoes, mushrooms, and warming spices made this a very exciting bowl to have for lunch. I would totally get this again.
- Vegetable Bolognese: This one was such a comforting bowl. All the flavors were reminiscent of regular bolognese, but without actual meat! Filled with quinoa, mushrooms, wild rice, carrots, cashews, and more – it was surprisingly filling!
- Cuban Black Bean: I may be biased on this one, but I LOVE Cuban food and was glad to find this bowl filled with plantains, black beans, and brown rice! While I would’ve added a bit more salt, I enjoyed this bowl and wouldn’t mind a fridge full of these!
- Green Goddess Quinoa: This bowl is part of Splendid Spoon’s brand new “Summer Collection” – and did I like it? YES! As the name suggests, this entire bowl is FILLED with greens – in a good way! The tangy tahini sauce paired so well with the assortment of vegetables, and the almonds and beans add a good amount of protein! Overall, delicious!
- Kabocha Congee: This congee was the most interesting to me, mostly because I’ve only had traditional rice congee before. The addition of kabocha adds some protein in this meal and I was pleasantly surprised to find this meal creamy, slightly sweet, and very filling!
- Brown Rice Taco Bowl: This meal kept me full for hours! I thought it could use a bit more salt, but it was a very hearty meal (I actually ate it for breakfast). I can see how you’d get 2 servings out of this.
- Roasted Cauliflower Bowl: aside from my snobbish wish that the cauliflower was cut smaller (lol), this bowl is definitely one of my favorites!! I am such a fan of the tangy tahini dressing they used in this bowl, and would gladly eat this over and over!
- Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Pasta (NEW!): these new noodle bowls have been home-runs for me. I really enjoyed this meal, and find it so hard to believe that there’s absolutely no dairy in this bowl (I actually double-checked to make sure, and there really isn’t any!) The noodles were not soggy despite it being covered in a delicious creamy sauce. I’d get it again!
- Vegan Meatballs & Marinara Sauce (NEW!): now this one is hands down my favorite Splendid Spoon meal to date! This noodle bowl was delightfully flavorful, and the vegan “meatballs” tasted like a cross between falafels and regular meatballs with just the right texture. I would eat this meal several days in a row if I could!
- Detox Shot: I didn’t expect to like this shot, but guess what? This ended up being my FAVORITE! The Detox Shot is made out of apple juice, lemon juice, aloe juice, kale juice, moringa, and spirulina. While I expected this to taste like freshly cut grass, it actually tastes more like an apple lemonade! I would drink this every day if I could!
- Wellness Shot: Personally, I’m a huge fan of Splendid Spoon’s shots! This particular shot is made with Organic Orange Juice, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic Ginger Juice, Organic Oregano Extract, and Himalayan Sea Salt. I will put it out there that the ginger is quite strong, but if you’re like me and you actually like that, you’ll agree that this is a great “pick-me-up” shot.
- Digestion Shot: I was not expecting this shot to be spicy! (I know there’s cayenne in the ingredients, but I guess I didn’t think it’d make that big of a difference) It was surprisingly refreshing though, but definitely strong. Then again, I guess that’s what shots are supposed to be 🙂
Summary: Is Splendid Spoon Worth It?
- 100% vegan, plant-based, no sugar added, low-sodium, non-GMO.
- Balanced meals of carbs, protein, and fat
- Wide variety of meals and cuisines to choose from.
- Pre-made meals make healthy eating convenient.
- Sustainable packaging.
- The noodles are all so delicious!!
- The healthier ingredients and preparation methods can taste underwhelming to those new to clean eating.
- Relatively higher price point at $9-$13 per serving.
- No “a la Carte”options.
Is Splendid Spoon Right for You?
Splendid Spoon could be a good fit for you if:
- You don’t love cooking but want to eat better
- You need convenient meal options and like variety
- You want easy meals that is pre-portioned and ready to eat (most bowls and noodles only take 2-4 minutes in the microwave)
- You value healthy, organic ingredients
Splendid Spoon may not be a good fit for you if:
- You value affordability over convenience (Splendid Spoon’s organic meals are $9-$13 per serving)
- You like to eat food made fresh (all the food are pre-prepared)
- You don’t eat oil (most meals, except smoothies, have a bit of oil)
Splendid Spoon Review: Final Thoughts
Splendid Spoon is a super convenient way to kickstart healthy eating habits. With programs like these, busy people can eat healthy too! While Splendid Spoon’s meal subscription boxes can be relatively pricey, it really does offer a great service to provide easy, healthy, and quick plant-based meals delivered to your doorstep! Plus, they do a great job at adding to their menus (like the newer noodle bowls which are my FAVORITE!) and it seems to me that they continue to improve their flavor profiles. Coming from someone who does not follow a 100% plant-based lifestyle, I can say that eating Splendid Spoon meals really does satisfy my cravings and leaves me feeling super good!
Have you gotten a Splendid Spoon box? What did you think? Feel free to leave a comment below!
Looking for More Product Reviews & Deals?
- 15 Best Sugar Free & Low Sugar Snacks To Try This Year!
- 25+ Best Vegan Probiotic Supplements To Keep Your Gut Healthy
- My Urthbox Review + Get A FREE Box!
- 21+ Best Gluten-Free Protein Bars
- Caraway Review: Deets on The Sustainable Cookware (With Photos)
- Good Chop Review: Everything You Need to Know + $100 Off
- 5 Best Bone Broths To Buy (+ Homemade Bone Broth Recipe)
- My TokyoTreat Review – Here’s What I Got!
- MasterClass Cooking Review: Is The MasterClass Culinary Arts Course Any Good?
- Cratejoy Review: 7 Best Cratejoy Subscription Boxes To Try This Month
- Kencko Review: Trying All Their Smoothie Flavors + FREEBIE!
- Mighty Fix Subscription Review + 72% Off Coupon
- 13+ Must-Try Wine Subscription Boxes And Best Wine Clubs
- Best Whole30 Cookbooks, According to Customer Reviews
- 10 Best Dairy Free Protein Shakes & Protein Powders
- My Shef Review – Meal Delivery from Local Chefs