This article was last updated September 17, 2020.
In the last few months since the pandemic started, I’ve noticed that more and more people are turning towards meal subscription services — did you guys notice that too or is it just me? There’s just something so attractive about the convenience, structure, and even flavor adventure of subscription boxes – especially when going out may not be an option! And to be honest with you, I’ve gotten a few meal subscription myself on weeks I know I’ll be extremely busy and on the go!
Today, I’ll be sharing with you my first experience with Splendid Spoon. In case you’ve never heard of them before, Splendid Spoon is a fully vegan meal subscription service. I got my box about two weeks ago and now that I’ve actually tasted everything in the box, I thought it would be helpful to give my honest review of Splendid Spoon in case you’re looking into getting a box yourself.
So without further ado, let’s get started!
About Splendid Spoon
Splendid Spoon is a healthy meal delivery service that caters to the vegan, plant-based, gluten-free, and non-GMO niche. Plus, most of their meals are also low-sodium and have no added sugar. However, unlike other meal delivery services where they send you ingredients and recipe cards to make your meals, Splendid Spoon offers ready-made food. According to their website:
“80% of our meals are eaten during those hectic “in-between” and “on-the-go” moments of life. Splendid Spoon solves for that with nutrient-dense smoothies, soups, and grain bowls that are delivered ready to eat.
Splendid Spoon offers ready-to-eat, nourishing, plant-based smoothies, soups and grain bowls. Our plans are designed to create healthy routines for breakfast and lunch, so you can reach your health goals. Each meal contains fresh plant-based, gluten-free, and GMO-free ingredients – all clean ingredients.”
How does Splendid Spoon subscription work?
Currently, there are four meal plans subscribers can choose from:
- Breakfast: 5 Smoothies for $65 per week
- Breakfast+Lunch: 5 smoothies, 5 soup & grain bowls for $95 per week
- Breakfast, Lunch + Reset: 5 smoothies, 5 bowls, 5 light soups for $135 per week
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner + Reset: 5 smoothies, 5 soup & grain bowls, 5 noodles, 5 light soups for $185 per week
Once you choose a plan, you’ll then get to choose the meals that goes in your box. As of this writing, Splendid Spoon has over 50 items subscribers can choose from, including:
- Smoothies: “Low-sugar smoothies to sip for breakfast, in transit, or anywhere life takes you.” – 16 varieties
- Bowls (Soups and Grains): “Vegi-loaded, delicious soups and grain bowls that take the stress out of “What’s for lunch today?” – 30 varieties
- Noodles: “Noodle bowls packed with veggies and topped with good-for-you sauces. Healthy comfort food that’s ready in minutes.” – 6 varieties
- The Reset: “Light soups designed to reset your digestive system in one day. It’s a day of self care in our favorite format: soup.” – 5 varieties
- Wellness Shots: “Immune-boosting shots that provide a quick and easy dose of nutrients. Ideal for on-the-go.” – 2 varieties
My Honest Review of Splendid Spoon
Splendid Spoon Review: Delivery & Packaging
Currently, Splendid Spoon delivers to the contiguous United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii). Their delivery windows are restricted to Wednesday or Friday, and I received mine on Friday! My Splendid Spoon box came very well-packaged in its fairly large box. When I removed the insulated packaging, I was pleased to find that the smoothies, bowls, and wellness shots were carefully packaged and still frozen inside. And fun fact: all the Splendid Spoon boxes, bottles, and bowls are 100% BPA-free and recyclable.
Splendid Spoon Review: What I Received in My Box
- Mango Guava: This smoothie reminded me so much of my childhood in Indonesia, or any tropical country for that matter! Evan and I are suckers for mangoes, so we split this one and both enjoyed how creamy and perfectly fruity this was!
- Strawberry Goji: Growing up drinking strawberry juice, I definitely appreciated how I can clearly taste the strawberry flavor in this smoothie. Plus, the addition of cashew butter and pea protein made it more filling than regular juice and balanced out the sweetness of the strawberries and goji.
- Blueberry Coconut: While I like blueberries and I like coconuts, I am not a fan of how “textured” this smoothie is. As such, this was not my favorite smoothie – but my husband Evan (who doesn’t mind the whole chia seeds and coconut bits) did like it!
- Dragon Fruit Berry: The flavor of this smoothie was somewhat underwhelming, but delicious nonetheless. I enjoyed this smoothie as a light morning snack and it really did give me that mid-morning boost I needed.
- Mint Chip: I REALLY enjoyed this smoothie! As a huge mint chocolate chip ice cream fan, this smoothie delivered! And my favorite part about this is how much healthier this smoothie is vs my regular mint chip ice cream (duh!) Overall, I loved the thicker blend and do think it’s the more filling of the smoothie bunch.
- Aloo Gobi Quinoa: Hands down our favorite bowl of this box. The combination of cauliflower, potatoes, mushrooms, and warming spices made this a very exciting bowl to have for lunch. I would totally get this again.
- Vegetable Bolognese: This one was such a comforting bowl. All the flavors were reminiscent of regular bolognese, but without actual meat! Filled with quinoa, mushrooms, wild rice, carrots, cashews, and more – it was surprisingly filling!
- Cuban Black Bean: I may be biased on this one, but I LOVE Cuban food and was glad to find this bowl filled with plantains, black beans, and brown rice! While I would’ve added a bit more salt, I enjoyed this bowl and wouldn’t mind a fridge-ful of these!
- Green Goddess Quinoa: This bowl is part of Splendid Spoon’s brand new “Summer Collection” – and did I like it? YES! As the name suggests, this entire bowl is FILLED with greens – in a good way! The tangy tahini sauce paired so well with the assortment of vegetables, and the almonds and beans add a good amount of protein! Overall, delicious!
- Kabocha Congee: This congee was the most interesting to me, mostly because I had only had traditional rice congee before. The addition of kabocha adds some protein in this meal and I was pleasantly surprised to find creamy, slightly sweet, and very filling!
- Detox Shot: I didn’t expect to like this shot, but guess what? This ended up being my FAVORITE! The Detox Shot is made out of apple juice, lemon juice, aloe juice, kale juice, moringa, and spirulina. While I expected this to taste like freshly cut grass, it actually tastes more like an apple lemonade! I would drink this everyday if I could!
- Wellness Shot: Personally, I’m a huge fan of Splendid Spoon’s shots! This particular shot is made with Organic Orange Juice, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic Ginger Juice, Organic Oregano Extract, and Himalayan Sea Salt. I will put it out there that the ginger is quite strong, but if you’re like me and you actually like that, you’ll agree that this is a great “pick-me-up” shot.
Summary: Is Splendid Spoon Worth It?
- 100% vegan, plant-based, no sugar added, low-sodium, non-GMO.
- Balanced meals of carbs, protein, and fat
- Wide variety of meals and cuisines to choose from.
- Pre-made meals make healthy eating convenient.
- Sustainable packaging.
- The ultra-healthy ingredients and methods of preparation may result in underwhelming flavors to some people.
- Higher price point at $9-$13 per serving.
- No “a la Carte”options.
Splendid Spoon Review: Final Thoughts
Splendid Spoon is a super convenient way to kickstart healthy eating habits. With programs like these, busy people can eat healthy too! That being said, the two biggest hindrances I see to Splendid Spoon’s meal subscription boxes include the relatively high price and ultra-healthy flavors that may take some adjustments for normal tastebuds. BUT, if you’re already eating healthy and just want easy, healthy, and quick plant-based meals delivered to your doorstep, then Splendid Spoon may be a good fit for you!
Have you gotten a Splendid Spoon box? What did you think? Feel free to leave a comment below!