This Crowd Cow Review was last updated on July 13, 2021, and may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy here.
Food delivery subscription services are one the most convenient trends of the decade. Whether that be meal kits, snack boxes, groceries, or meat boxes – the options are endless! And if you’re wondering if they are worth it, you’re in the right place.
This month, we got the chance to try Crowd Cow – a new sustainable meat subscription box. Here’s our honest Crowd Cow review.
What is Crowd Cow?
Crowd Cow is a meat delivery subscription service that provides direct access to small, independent ranches. Crowd Cow offers quality cuts (all sustainably-raised beef, chicken, pork, bison, turkey, lamb, fish – no mystery meat here!), great value (they offer a cut for every budget) and flexibility (completely customizable recurring shipments).
We exclusively offer beef, pork, chicken, seafood and wagyu from sources we know personally with the highest regenerative and ethical standards. Every product on Crowd Cow is raised without unnecessary antibiotics or any added hormones and is taste-tested by experts.
We take our climate impact seriously — we offset the carbon impact of every shipment, from the field to your door, and every box is shipped in 100% recyclable and compostable materials.CrowdCow
Our Crowd Cow Review: What Did We Think About Crowd Cow?
This month, we tried a few things in our gift box (with the free 3 lb wagyu beef ground offer — see below). Here’s what I thought!
Shipping & Packaging
Shipping was fairly quick, comparable to other meat delivery services like ButcherBox. I liked that my box was 100% recyclable and made of compostable materials. It was very easy to break down and they also had insulation to keep the meat cold.
Unlike some of the other food boxes I’ve tried, Crowd Cow does not require a signature for delivery.
All the meat is shipped frozen and pre-packed in convenient portions. As a household of only two people, this was a plus point for us since it allowed us to cook various meat as needed without having to eat beef for 10 meals in a row, as we’ve had to do once when I bought a 10-lb family-sized roll of ground beef by accident at our local Krogers 🙂
From what I’ve tasted in my Crowd Cow box so far, the quality seems to be better than the usual grocery store cuts! I’ve made rotisserie chicken with the pasture-raised whole chicken I got and made my Glazed Honey Garlic Salmon with Roasted Zucchini recipe with the salmon filet. My husband thought it tasted “better than usual,” even with the same exact recipe.
As both busy young professionals, my husband and I value convenience. We believe that sometimes, it really does pay to save some time going grocery shopping – especially since the nearest Sprouts is on the other side of town. Having it all delivered to our doorstep and knowing that we’ll have quality meat to cook when we get home from work has to be our favorite part of using Crowd Cow.
While Crowd Cow meats cost a bit higher than the typical cuts at the grocery store, it makes sense because sustainable cuts tend to be better quality cuts (which tastes infinitely better!) Sustainable meats, in general, will cost more than similar conventional cuts, but comparing apples to apples (i.e: Crowd Cow chicken price with pasture-raised chicken price at Sprouts), we’ve found the price to be comparable.
Every Crowd Cow subscriber can customize their box with whatever cuts they prefer. I loved this flexibility to choose what I wanted in my box!
By default, your box will be set to arrive on a monthly basis, but you can change this setting with a click of a button too. This means that the frequency of delivery is completely up to you!
Once (on a super hot, humid summer day), my Crowd Cow order arrived defrosted and I contacted their customer service team via the online form. They got back to me in less than 24 hours and offered to resend another box within that same week. Fantastic customer service!
How Does Crowd Cow Work?
- DISCOVER: Shop Crowd Cow’s website for high-quality offerings of craft beef, pork, chicken, and other meats. PRO TIP: you can sort by cut or by farm!
- GET EXCITED: Once your order is placed, the waiting game begins! Crowd Cow will provide an estimated delivery date after you place an order, but the exact shipping times will vary based on where you the box delivered. Crowd Cow will then ship out your box the next day, with plenty of dry ice!
- COOK & ENJOY: Got your box? Great! Make sure to refrigerate any cuts you plan on using soon, and freeze the rest. Look up that new bison recipe you’ve been dying to try out with their pasture-raised, grass-finished bison from Blackwing Bison farm. Then cook it, and enjoy!
How Much Does Crowd Cow Cost?
Many people love Crowd Cow’s a la carte options, where you can decide every single cut that goes in your box. But because this option is 100% customizable, the cost of your Crowd Cow box will vary depending on what cuts you select.
PRO TIP: Sign up for Crowd Cow’s FREE membership to get the lowest price on all their meats!
Crowd Cow also offers gift boxes with pre-selected cuts. One of my favorite Crowd Cow boxes is the Farmers Market Share box, which includes:
- 2 (12 oz) New York Strip Steak
- 3 lb Chuck Roast
- 2 (1 lb) Pasture-Raised Ground Beef
- 12 oz Heritage Bacon
- 1 lb Heritage Breakfast Sausage
- 2 (1.25 lb) Pasture-Raised Chicken Breast.
Right now, they’re also featuring their pre-selected Summer Cookout Boxes, which include these bundles:
PRO TIP: Recurring boxes get 5% off every single box plus free shipping at $99.
Right now, you can also get 3 POUNDS of Pure Wagyu Ground Beef for FREE with your first order! But hurry, this offer only lasts until 7/14/2021 or while supplies last.
Bonus Crowd Cow Review: Other Things You Need To Know
- Currently, Crowd Cow delivers everywhere in the USA, except Alaska and Hawaii.
- Your Crowd Cow recurring boxes don’t have to include the same cuts every time! How it works it Crowd Cow will build each box based on your preferences and their current inventory. They will then send you an email (and a text message notification!) that your box is ready for review. If you decide to skip a cut or replace it with a different one, you can easily customize your upcoming box so you get the exact cuts you want.
- Crowd Cow has a fantastic referral program where you can give $25 off to a friend or family via a personalized link. Once they sign up and their box ships, you’ll get a $25 credit on your account too!
- You can recycle all the cardboard and plastic from your Crowd Cow delivery, and throw the foam in your garden, use it as a fire starter, or dissolve it in water!
- Crowd Cow will always send you a notification before your next box ships to give you enough time to make any changes if needed. However, if your box has already shipped, you can’t cancel that particular box.
- Not sure how to cook the meat you just bought? Check out Crowd Cow’s recipe page for cooking instructions and delicious recipes.
- If you are looking for more than just meat, Crowd Cow also sells various sides and desserts!
- All of the beef you find on Crowd Cow is dry-aged for at least 14 days unless otherwise stated. If you’re lucky, you can find Crowd Cow’s specialty 45-day dry-aged steaks certain times of the year too, they’re so good!
Dry aging is a natural process that tenderizes the meat, concentrates flavors, and removes water. When you purchase dry-aged ground beef, for example, you’re not paying extra for the water weight found in conventional ground beef (up to 30% of its weight!)Crowd Cow
Got other questions not covered in this Crowd Cow review? Check out the FAQ section on the Crowd Cow website!
Final Verdict: Is Crowd Cow Worth It?
It wouldn’t be a complete Crowd Cow review without a final verdict, now would it?
Based on our personal experience, we highly recommend Crowd Cow, but with a few notes in mind. Here are our top pros & cons of Crowd Cow:
- All the meats we’ve gotten from Crowd Cow are always such great quality. Our favorites are their wagyu beef, pasture-raised chicken, and sustainably-caught salmon.
- Amazing customer service! They’re quick to resolve any of issues we’ve had, and their representatives are very professional in the follow-up.
- Compared to similar sustainable meat costs at Sprouts/Trader Joes/Whole Foods, Crowd Cow’s member pricing is very competitive on almost all their cuts.
- Membership is FREE!
- Delivery only takes a few days.
- Sustainable packaging. Everything is 100% recyclable and deliveries are 100% carbon neutral!
- Just like other food subscription boxes, Crowd Cow makes grocery shopping so much more convenient!
- Crowd Cow only offers sustainably-raised meats, which are more pricy compared to conventional meats.
- Free shipping requires a $99+ order (PRO TIP: if you’re like me, you can just buy enough cuts per box to meet the $99 order and only get the box whenever you run out to score on the free shipping!)
- We did have one box arrived thawed since it was pretty hot that week. If this happens to you, you can contact customer service (like we did!) and they will replace your box with a new one at no extra cost.
If you want to give Crowd Cow subscription a try, take advantage of the new member offer for 3 POUNDS of Pure Wagyu Ground Beef FREE! But hurry, this offer only lasts until 7/14/2021 or while supplies last.
Looking for More Product Reviews and Deals?
- 5 BEST Matcha Whisk You Can Buy on Amazon
- My Urthbox Review + Get A FREE Box!
- 12 Best Air Fryers Under $100
- (2021) 11+ Best Travel Toothbrush for Sparkling Clean Teeth
- Vivoo Review: Everything You Need to Know About the At-Home Wellness Test
- 13+ Best Travel Backpacks for Women
- CAUSEBOX Winter 2021 Review + $10 Coupon!
- 21+ Best Gluten-Free Protein Bars (2021)
- My Organifi Red Juice Review + 15% Off
- (2021) MasterClass Cooking Review: Is The MasterClass Culinary Arts Course Any Good?
- Cratejoy Review (2021): 7 Best Cratejoy Subscription Boxes To Try This Month
- My Honest Review of Kencko Instant Smoothies (2020)
- Mighty Fix Subscription Review + 72% Off Coupon
- 13+ Must-Try Wine Subscription Boxes And Best Wine Clubs In 2021
- ButcherBox Review + Unboxing (2021) : Is Butcher Box Worth It?
- 2021 Kencko Review (Updated) : I Tried ALL the Kencko Smoothies Flavors!
- An Honest Review Of Splendid Spoon Meal Subscription
Have you tried a Crowd Cow subscription? If so, what did you think? Please leave a comment below – I’d love to hear!!