Well guys, I’ve done it. It took me a few months and a LOT of smoothies, but as of today, I have officially tried ALL the kencko smoothies flavors available to date! And now I live to tell the tale with this updated 2021 kencko review.
Since my last kencko review (which you can read here), so many of you have asked me: “is kencko worth it?”. And while I believe this answer varies based on a person’s lifestyle factors, I thought it’d an updated, more in-depth review of kencko (especially after trying everything they have to offer) might help you answer that question for yourself! So stick around to the very end, and see if kencko might be right for YOU.
What is kencko?
kencko is the first company (and still one of the few!) to offer healthy and delicious instant smoothies subscription. In fact, kencko prides itself as being “real nourishment for busy people.” Each box of kencko smoothies come with this promise: “add organic fruits and veggies to your daily routine in under one minute. No added sugars or sweeteners. All the vitamins and fiber.”
According to the kencko website:
We transform fresh, organic fruits and veggies into handy single-serving instant smoothies. Each one contains about 80 calories, and gives the same nutritional benefits as 2.5 cups of fresh produce. Simply mix the powder into water or your favorite milk for a quick, healthy boost – wherever you are.kencko
How Does Kencko Work?
the answer: simple.
- To get started, pick a plan that works for you (see below). If this is your first order, you’ll also received a FREE shaker bottle!
- Once your box arrives, choose a smoothie packet. Add in your choice of liquid (I recommend oat milk!), then shake for 30-60 seconds!
- optional: when you subscribe to kencko, you also have access to their in-house dietitians. You can call, text, or email them for free nutrition advice!
How Much Does Kencko Smoothies Cost?
As I’ve mentioned in my previous review, kencko offers flexible monthly plans. As a subscriber, you have the option to cancel after one box, or let it run on a monthly recurring subscription. Kencko will notify you before your subscription renews, so you have time to make changes (mix up smoothie flavors, change delivery date, or stop your subscription) before your next refill shipment.
With any kencko subscription, you have the option to choose the exact flavors you want, or if you like surprises, you can let the kencko team choose the flavors to go in your box!
As of Jan 2021, there are three plans subscribers can choose from:
- 7 smoothie packs: $5.29 per smoothie + free shipping (same price as last year!)
- 20 smoothie packs – $2.99 per smoothie + free shipping (same price as last year!)
- 60 smoothie packs – $2.49 per smoothie + free shipping (+ 20 cents more than last year!)
Kencko Review: Smoothie Flavors (Including Limited Edition Varieties!)
if you head on over to kencko’s website, you may notice that the brand places great emphasis on nutritional research (which is why they offer free dietetic service with your subscription). So it comes as no surprise that with each of kencko’s flavor variety, comes also massive research of how your body benefits from that exact blend.
This chart below summarizes the 15 flavor varieties that kencko currently offers (including 3 of the limited edition flavors), and the main benefit of the blend. For example, my favorite flavor (purples) is shown to be anti-inflammatory, whereas my husband’s favorite flavor (mocha) touts mental focus benefits.
This is why I recommend choosing the flavors of your box based on your taste preference, but also on the star benefit(s) you’d like to get out of the smoothies.
My Honest Review of Kencko (Updated!)
One of my favorite things about kencko is that all their deliveries use carbon-neutral shipping! In a time when so many subscription box companies neglect the amount of carbon footprint their shipments produce, it’s refreshing to know that kencko aims to be environmentally-friendly! But this doesn’t mean slow shipping, either! In fact, for each of my order, my box arrived on my doorstep within 3 days of order placement and I’ve not received a dented box to date (all their boxes have been thick, sturdy, and compostable!)
P.S: kencko ships to the 50 U.S. states, District of Columbia, EU member states (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden); and Singapore.
What I Received in My Box
These days, I get kencko’s 60-smoothie box. Similar to the smaller 7-smoothie box, this month’s kencko box was also personalized with my name handwritten on the inside (i love that). It also included my 60-smoothie packs (duh!), as well as a sheet of stickers, several info cards, and 2 dishwasher-safe shaker bottles with instructions inside!
P.S: for my box, I always include 10 purples, 10 mochas, and mix up the rest!
P.P.S: I use the stickers to seal the envelopes for letters I send to my friends (yes, I still send handwritten letters!)
Honest Review: Is Kencko Worth It?
- Healthy AND delicious: each smoothie is gluten-free, non-GMO, organic, no artificial additives, and no added sugar.
- Expanded flavor selection: they went from 12 flavors to 15 flavor options since my last review
- Carbon-neutral shipping!
- No clumping: I usually only shake for 20 seconds and even then, it results in a smooth texture
- It actually takes less than 1 minute: no marketing gimmick, it really does what it says!
- Value-packed: Your subscription comes with a free shaker bottle, a dietician consultation ($300+ value), and free shipping.
- Incredibly convenient: I’ve saved SO much time during the workweek by having these on hand for mid-morning and/or mid-afternoon pick-me-ups (when I don’t have a long break time). Also perfect to bring along for travels.
- Affordable per smoothie cost: At $2.49-$2.99 per smoothie, kencko’s 20 or 60-smoothie plan is an incredibly affordable option for organic smoothies (I find that buying organic ingredients to make these on my own costs almost to the same to the per smoothie cost of kencko)
- Significant price increase for their 7-smoothie plan: Compared to the 20 or 60-smoothie plan, kencko’s 7-smoothie box costs $5.29 per smoothie, which is a pretty big jump from their $2.49-$2.99 range of their other 2 plans.
- Still not a lot of flavor options: While I personally don’t mind, kencko’s limited flavor options may be an issue if you’re the kind of person that need constant variety. Even with new limited edition flavors, 15 varieties is not a ton of options to choose from, especially when subscribing to the 60-smoothie plan.
- Not available to purchase a la carte: you can’t buy/add additional smoothies to their plans. Currently, kencko only offers 3 plans: a 7, 20, and 60 smoothie plan.
The only ingredients you’ll ever find in kencko are whole organic plant foods, flash-frozen and slow-dried to retain their fiber and nutrients. Nothing added, nothing taken out except water – and that’s a promise. We champion freeze-drying because it’s the most energy-efficient way to extend the shelflife of produce with minimal loss of nutritional value.kencko
Kencko Review: Final Thoughts
I ordered my first kencko 7-smoothie box in September 2020. Flash forward 4 months later, I’m on their 60-smoothie plan. Personally, that says something. If you know me in real life, you’d know that: 1) I’m not a frivolous spender, 2) I believe in quality > quantity.
Personally, my Kencko experience for the last 4 months has been incredibly positive. While it’s true that I can certainly make my own smoothies with similar ingredients, I’ve really appreciated how convenient kencko smoothies are. After all, 60 seconds of pour and shake is hands down easier than having to blend it on my own (though there’s nothing wrong with that!). I love Kencko’s sustainability efforts and commitment to simple ingredients, but the biggest draw for me to stick with this brand has been the way I save SO much time during the workweek. Plus, I love not having to clean my blender after making each smoothie! Now that I’m on the 60 smoothie plan, I find this to be very affordable – and stand behind what I’ve said in my September post: while kencko’s 7-smoothie plan is relatively expensive for the average person, kencko‘s 20 or 60 smoothie plans is an incredibly affordable way to drink delicious and healthy smoothies, and save time!
Have you tried Kencko? What did you think? Feel free to leave a comment below!